Home U.S. Coin Forum

eBay scam emails are getting more dangerous than ever.

291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
It used to be that eBay scam emails could easily be identified by the lack of being addressed to you personally. This is no longer the case. I recently received an "eBay" email informing me that my account had been suspended and that I needed to click on a link to confirm certain info to reactivate the account. The email contained all the eBay trademarks and was addressed to me personally. I didn't trust it and forwarded the email to eBay at spoof@ebay.com. eBay quickly confirmed my suspicions that the email was a scam.

Watch out!
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Easy to avoid; ignore them altogether.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    There are several ways to check if these emails are scams or the real deal. First, you can click on the link and record the address on the log in page without actually logging in. After recording the address, exit your email and go to the ebay site and go to the page that you normally use to log in. If the address is different, and in my case, it has always been different, then its a scam. Another way to figure out if it's a scam is by actually going to the ebay website and logging in. If you can log in, the email is a scam. Bottom line is, never log in on the link provided on the email. I constantly get emails at an address that has never been associated with my ebay account. Obvious scam there.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • "There are several ways to check if these emails are scams or the real deal."

These mails are never the real deal. No need to check.

-brian
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Ebay wants you to report these emails to them. I beleive you forward them, with the email headers. They say they will go after them.
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it true that when you hit the link you have confirmed you are real target for future emails?
    Larry

• I got one the other day on my Yahoo mail account.

I send all of those scam emails to spoof@ebay.com or paypal.com or whatever they say they are from.
    Gary

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file