Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

French Gold Rooster Question. ( Pic Added )

Hi all,

Last week I picked up a 1907 French 20 Francs. ( Picture to come later today, along with some other pieces )

Whilst doing the wrong thing of buying the coin and then doing the research image at bullion price you cannot go wrong with gold.

I knew these are a straight bullion coin, but was un-aware that there are also re-strikes, has anyone got any more information on this?

Is it like the Austrian 1915 Ducat with re-strikes more or less permanantly or like the 1925 Sovereign with a limited time period of re-strikes ?

Is there any way to tell the difference or just safe to assume that a BU is a re-strike?

Thanking you in advance.

Cruzi

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    It would be necessary to have a Picture.close up,. 1907 Roosters are heavily counterfeited and pictured in "Detecting counterfeit Gold Coins" by Lonesome John

I don't know of any restrikesimage
  • Options
    Officially restruck for the dates of 1907-1914. I believe they used the same dies. Since these coins are basically bullion with the smallest mintage at around 5 million, it does not matter value wise weather they are original or restrikes.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm.... just picked up a 1908 Rooster myself-wish I'd known about the restrikes. I know it's just bullion but I would have not wanted a restrike If I had the choice. In other words, same dies, millions restruck so now they're all treated as restrikes, without any way to tell an original strike?image

Edited to add: I was going to get a pre-1900; shoulda waited... oh well.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Mine's probably a restrike but hey a great example of a great design. I am happy with it.image

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i>Hmmm.... just picked up a 1908 Rooster myself-wish I'd known about the restrikes. I know it's just bullion but I would have not wanted a restrike If I had the choice. In other words, same dies, millions restruck so now they're all treated as restrikes, without any way to tell an original strike?image

Edited to add: I was going to get a pre-1900; shoulda waited... oh well. >>

What's a restrike?
  • Options
    A restrike is a little like bad hearing or poor reading.

Bad hearing, I'll ask someone to repeat themselves.

Bad reading, I've got to repeat myself.

If a coin is judged to be an unsatisfactory strike after its minted they'll take it back to the mint and restrike it, i.e. repeat the strike.

Neat, huh?

(Yes, I'm ashamed of myselfimage)
  • Options

<< <i>
    What's a restrike? >>

A previously issued coin, minted again at a later date, with the same date as the originals, officially issued by the government.
  • Options
    You hit it once and then you hit it again.image

Actually a restrike is using dies from years gone by and striking them at a later date than is actually on the coin.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Oh man, just trying to have a little fun...
  • Options

<< <i>A restrike is a little like bad hearing or poor reading.

Bad hearing, I'll ask someone to repeat themselves.

Bad reading, I've got to repeat myself.

If a coin is judged to be an unsatisfactory strike after its minted they'll take it back to the mint and restrike it, i.e. repeat the strike.

Neat, huh?

(Yes, I'm ashamed of myselfimage) >>

I have to ask you this .. why are you making fun of me all the time? I am pretty senstive on stuff like that. We chatted in private messages and you seemed quite friendly and well, and all of a sudden your doing this and ignoring my private messages I sent you. You said before dont' ask someone on the forums if they got my message. Well, it really upsets me when someone intentionally ignores my message. Especially if they seemed to like me alot, then all of a sudden start picking on me on the forums. I didn't know what a restrike is, I do know some coin terms, but I'm still a novice at it. If you'd just PM me back, and tell me what bugged you, it'd be a great relief to me.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I have to ask you this .. why are you making fun of me all the time? I am pretty senstive on stuff like that. We chatted in private messages and you seemed quite friendly and well, and all of a sudden your doing this and ignoring my private messages I sent you. You said before dont' ask someone on the forums if they got my message. Well, it really upsets me when someone intentionally ignores my message. Especially if they seemed to like me alot, then all of a sudden start picking on me on the forums. I didn't know what a restrike is, I do know some coin terms, but I'm still a novice at it. If you'd just PM me back, and tell me what bugged you, it'd be a great relief to me. >>

None of my business obviously, but you have to have thick skin to survive around here. I don't know laurentyvan but I wouldn't let it bother you. Just post away and have fun! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    What's a restrike? >>

A previously issued coin, minted again at a later date, with the same date as the originals, officially issued by the government. >>

Hmm, I thought US coins didn't allow that. At least that's what I heard from the guys on Coin Vault, they said once the US mint makes a coin of a certain date they can't make a coin identicle to it with the same date. Doesn't make much sense to me why'd they do that though.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I have to ask you this .. why are you making fun of me all the time? I am pretty senstive on stuff like that. We chatted in private messages and you seemed quite friendly and well, and all of a sudden your doing this and ignoring my private messages I sent you. You said before dont' ask someone on the forums if they got my message. Well, it really upsets me when someone intentionally ignores my message. Especially if they seemed to like me alot, then all of a sudden start picking on me on the forums. I didn't know what a restrike is, I do know some coin terms, but I'm still a novice at it. If you'd just PM me back, and tell me what bugged you, it'd be a great relief to me. >>

None of my business obviously, but you have to have thick skin to survive around here. I don't know laurentyvan but I wouldn't let it bother you. Just post away and have fun! image >>

I'll try my best, but I came from a forum where cussing was allowed, basically anything was allowed. And I was slanderized and cussed at there all day. I guess that's why sometimes I am to senstive here. I can't tell if their serious or not. It bugs me when I talk to someone for awhile on PM's, everything is OK, then they don't respond and they post messages about me that I'm not sure if their joking or not.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I'll try my best, but I came from a forum where cussing was allowed, basically anything was allowed. And I was slanderized and cussed at there all day. I guess that's why sometimes I am to senstive here. I can't tell if their serious or not. It bugs me when I talk to someone for awhile on PM's, everything is OK, then they don't respond and they post messages about me that I'm not sure if their joking or not. >>

Well, from what I've seen around here, making public posts about being sensative is like throwing blood in the water. If you have a problem with a particualr individual, the best way to address it is to PM that person. If they don't respond, let it go. This place can be a lot of fun if you don't let things get to you. 99% of what people say aren't meant personally anyway. JMHO.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Hmm, I thought US coins didn't allow that. At least that's what I heard from the guys on Coin Vault, they said once the US mint makes a coin of a certain date they can't make a coin identicle to it with the same date. Doesn't make much sense to me why'd they do that though. >>

I wouldn't rely on the guys at Coin Vault for accurate information. Look at a redbook, the US has made plenty of restrikes, but none on a grand scale. Certain foreign coins however have been officially restruck in massive quantities. The 1780 Maria Teresa Thaler comes to mind. They are still being officially minted each year with the 1780 date by several governments.
  • Options
    Hmm, I thought US coins didn't allow that. At least that's what I heard from the guys on Coin Vault, they said once the US mint makes a coin of a certain date they can't make a coin identicle to it with the same date. Doesn't make much sense to me why'd they do that though

The US Hobby Protection Act exempts restrikes from the "COPY" requirement. Restrikes are defined as coins reissued by the original minting authority.
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't rely on the guys at Coin Vault for accurate information. >>

Heresyimage.

They must be right - they're on television, and everyone knows that false information is not allowed on TVimage
    Roy

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i> At least that's what I heard from the guys on Coin Vault...... >>

That crunching sound is me biting my tongue!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>It would be necessary to have a Picture.close up,. 1907 Roosters are heavily counterfeited and pictured in "Detecting counterfeit Gold Coins" by Lonesome John

I don't know of any restrikesimage >>

image One of the few gold coins I have is a 1907 Rooster...

Then, it has to be real, it comes from my great-grandfather image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    As heavily Counterfeited as Gold coins are, you should NEVER make a purchase without checking a reference or two.
  • Options
    Been more than a little slack today. image

imageimage

Before the coin was purchased from a reputable dealer it was known that these are a bullion coin, readily available in higher grade with .1867 of .900 gold, what was not known was that re-strikes are available. It surprised me some-what.

More info was definately needed

• Options
    Looks nice image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin