Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How can you verify Topps autographed cards?

You know how the Certified Topps auto cards (all sports) have that hologram on the back with a serial-number of sorts ... does anyone know if there's a place online to verify it (similar to PSA's cert. verification)? I tried searching Topps' site, but their search engine isn't working, so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone knew ... thanks!

Robert

Comments

• Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    I would shoot Topps CS an email. Im sure they have some sort of database.
  • Options
    Well, no email on the website - so I called the 800 number. Basically, there's nothing online, but the customer rep was "pretty sure" they kept the numbers in a db somewhere (she suspected the Relics department). Since I was really just curious, I didn't press for more - though she mentioned that she was sure they could track down the info for a specific card if I had concerns about authenticity.

I'm just trying to get my arms around how the different card manufacturers deal with authenticating and tracking auto cards. My current thinking in terms of "Top 3" most trustworthy is:

1. PSA/DNA authenticated cards (limited selection currently, but no doubt about legitimacy)
    2. Topps - Certified Auto Issues (a very close 2nd, due to the unique numbered hologram)
    3. Donruss - Authentic Signature Issues (my only compaint is that the '99 Passing the Torch cards don't have this stamp)

I'd love to hear other opinions. UD did not make the list, partly because of the problems they had years back (ghost signers, etc), but also because I think it's a waste of space to use the back of the card to display a COA. I'd rather have a stamp on the front, and stats/bio/etc on the back. And screw them for flooding the market with overpriced garbage image.

Robert
  • Options
    I'd have to say fleer/skybox. If they actually did film the signings. Joker you should call them and tell them you picked up a questionable 97-98 autographics charles barkley card and would like to see the video of him signing said card.............