Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Best grading service for world coins?

I know I have proably asked this before and I apologize if I have. But as far as members here, who do you feel is better at grading World coins out of all the grading services?

Comments

• Options
    Why it's PCGS of course.image
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    ICCS and PCGS for Canadian coins.
  • Options
    for turnaround time, value, and grades, I like NGC right now. image PCGS should do something to complete on their level.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    For my Irish coins I like NGC and ANACS.
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    For my British coppers, NGC and ANACS.
    Joe
  • Options
  • Options
    PCGS all the way......

JoeCool
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

<< <i> PCGS all the way...... >>

Perhaps for bullion, otherwise, Nyet.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    NGC hasn't a clue on English milled coinage....they're all over the map.

ANACS seems to be fairly consistent with 19th century British copper, as is PCGS. PCGS waffles around, IMHO, with any British which is pre-Edward VII. They (PCGS) usually are too cautious and unrealistic when it comes to anything from 1660 to pre-SOHO....thems the facts.

However, PCGS is extremely consistent with Swiss Federal material. Probably because Hall collected the stuff at one time, they have a grading set (at least they used to), and the Swiss designs are very much in the same design vein as US coinage of this period, i.e. Seated Liberty, WLQ, and the 3CN, and Liberty 5c.

If you're in no hurry I would favor PCGS for most 20th c. World material.....ANACS might get a strong bid on S. American material, but those experts can validate that thought or not.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really depends on the coins being submitted. I know that answer is mostlikely not helpful but certain coins are handled better by certain TPG services and it is a challenge to figure it out... I'm still working on that. It has turned into a work in progress type thingimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I was thinking more on the lines of 1800's Italy and Austria. Right now I have not used my 4 freebies through PCGS and I thought I would add two world coins to make up the four I needed for the freebie submission.image
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was thinking more on the lines of 1800's Italy and Austria. Right now I have not used my 4 freebies through PCGS and I thought I would add two world coins to make up the four I needed for the freebie submission.image >>

You might want to check with customer service -- I don't think PCGS allows mixing world and US coins in the same submission. image