Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver Eagles: Low Numbered Mint Box?

Hi all, I just bought a roll of 2004 silver eagles from a "low numbered mint box" on ebay and am pretty excited about getting them and looking through them. My question: the seller said they come from box #839. That seems pretty low, but just how low is it really? Do you think I'll get some first strikes? Thanks!
I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."

Comments

• TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    DD
    I hope you find some gems in there. I really don't know number counts but here's one thing I learned from the boards. First strikes can come in the middle or end of a run also. When the dies wear out and are replaced ...first strikes all over again....so if boxes are numbered, box 3045 could be a first strike because the dies were replaced.
    I did once pass on three consectutive struck thru foriegn objects eagles. Wanted $100 bucks for the three. Might have been a deal.
    I think from a resale value I hope you find something like that in those rolls. Funny how you hope for gems but if theirs a mint damaged coins in there it would be worth more.

Best of luck
    Tom
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    I started a thread about First Strikes some time ago and the people on here who know a lot more than me said that there is almost no way to know. I've always thought the Mint could make a killing by identifying them. I do know that if you order the single State Quarter with the Die used to make it from the US Mint website, it comes in a dark blue box and they say that the individual coin which you get with the defaced die is pretty close to a first strike.
    DSW
  • Thanks for the responses. At 500 coins in a box, box 839 should contain about the 420,000th coins minted. How long are dies considered "fresh?"
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    I have a bunch of SAE (20 rolls),

How does one go about getting them out of the roll without doing any damage ???

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Herb, I was thinking maybe remove the cap, put a piece of cardboard covered in cloth over the top, and very carefully invert it. Not sure if that will work or not though.
    Here's was a previous thread about the subect..It might help...good luck

Tom

previous thread
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just picked up five 2001 SAE's from . . . Box #2. They were US Mint packed on 10/31/2000. Pretty neat items.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Tom....

thanks for pointing me to the thread...I'm gonna try the freezer trick,

now the next trick will be how to get them back in the tube without inflicting further (hopefully not)

damage.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • How does the mint manage to get them into the tubes to begin with? I was hoping to take mine out and look at them and put them back in, but maybe not lol.
    When putting them back in the tube. Pile the roll face down on a soft surface(plastic cover, cardboard, ect..) and place the tube over the roll. Then with the help uf the soft item turn them right side up. The coins are now obv side up.

Tom
  • Tom...that's easier said then done. I've tried stacking then place tube over coins, the coins need to be perfectly aligned in order for that trick to work. I get about 4 or 5 coins started in the tube and then everything turns to mush and I hate when that happens.

Herb
    imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file