Home U.S. Coin Forum

You gotta love eBay...VAM-44 "The King of VAMS" is not VAM-44

Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
I can't believe somebody confused a 1878 7/8 coin with a Reverse of 78 coin. His own photo gives him away.

eBay VAM 44, which is not a VAM-44

I've emailed both the seller and the bidder. The VAM 199.1 is a premium coin ($250 in AU55), not $1200 bucks!

Comments

• Wolf, call me a cynic, but I doubt that mis-attribution was an accident. Please keep us informed.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • I concur with Jade.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • I am always surprised by the number of people on Ebay that have $$$$ to throw around on items for which they obviously know very little about. I've owned a real Vam-44........at best that coin is a Vam-115 (which does have "tripled blossoms" on the obverse but a completely different reverse). Also, the tripling on the Vam-44 is spectacular (if you are into that kind of thing) and doesn't require a loop to see it. Its an awesome coin. The tripling on the Vam-115 is far less noticable and really can't be confused with the Vam-44, IMO.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please explain to me how, using only an obverse picture that is too small to conclusively make out anything more than the date, you are able to determine this coin is not a VAM 44? What is the evidence?

I've sent an e-mail to the seller -- to which he hasn't replied in almost 24 hours -- because I'm looking for one of these!

In addition, the two bidders are both buddies of mine. Please convice me, so I can wave off the Bozos!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Because I trust PCGS. The coin is slabbed as the Reverse of 1878. VAM-44's in PCGS holders would be slabbed as 1878 7/8 STRONG.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jack:

Good point, but trusting PCGS should NEVER be all-inclusive. I make this statement based upon coins I have actually bought:

1878 7/8 strong holdered as 7/8 weak (got this changed through variety review)
    1878 r79 holdered as r78
    1879-S r78 holdered as regular r79
    1880-CC r78 holdered as regular r79
    1889-O holdered as 1899-O (a couple of these in fact)
    1887/6-P holdered as 1887-P (a couple of these in fact)

My point is, PCGS graders have a track record of not getting things right 100% of the time... and that's what makes cherrypicking at shows such a blast!

-- Dennis
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Dennis, thanks I love to cherrypick myself !!! I'll definetly have to look at more PCGS slabs at shows. Please check your email.
    I did get a response from the seller and forwarded it to you.

Hope you get your EDS VAM-1B today.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...he ended the auction early.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Always view PCGS variety designations with a skeptical eye. They must be confirmed personally. In early copper for 1794 I have seen (early) heads of 94 labeled head of 95, and heads of 95 labeled Head of 94. I believe I have also seen pieces labeled Head of 93 that were actually heads of 94 and heads of 95. (PCGS doesn't attribute by die variety, just head type)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file