Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Favorite Non-Sports Cards

In response to the criticism on lack of Non-Sports threads here, let's see your favorite Non-Sports Cards.

Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!

Comments

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    <---------- This guy is my favorite.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    FRANK - Come on! Ya gotta have a favorite from the Civil war set, Gettysburg, Antietam, Vicksburg....jay
  • Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭
    Mantlefan,

Isn't picking a favorite card like asking "Which of your kids is your favorite"? There is only one answer to that question...They're ALL my favorites!!

But since I can't post them ALL...I can pick out one for the board. (The truth is I can't even post one...I'm still too new at this...so if someone can help me??!!)

It's card #48 from the 1966 Topps Lost In Space set. I have a scan on the registry in my "Best Set Ever Made" set if someone wants to show it here!!

It's called One Eyed Terror. Anyone that was 7 years old when these cards came out still shutters when looking at that image. By todays standards, okay it's a little cheesy...I mean really...black and white photos??...but it does remind me of a more "innocent" time in the world....and isn't that why we all collect!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Mantlefan- That's an awesome card, from 1956 no less! What does that card/set go for? I can hear the theme song now.
    "Daveeyy, Davey Crockett"
    "King of the wild frontier"
    Classicimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    My favorite~ could take years to compile in better than VG :

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    I love this combo action-shot/portrait - this was the first card from the set I had graded. To make it even cooler, I got married at the Washington Crossing Inn (right along the Delaware where, well, Washington crossed it) last year image.

Robert
  • Options
    JOKER - I have a George Washington 1956 Topps Presidents card, but yours is better, its his rookie image ...jay
  • Options
    Good Point Qualitycards!!

That's one thing that I love to hear people say when it comes to non-sports cards!!!

This card is the Superman rookie, or the Mickey Mouse rookie, or the Brown-Face Teddy Beanie Baby rookie....

It makes me wonder...after their rookie years....are they then stars, semi-stars....or in the field of Non-sports...all just plain old COMMONS???

Frank - I too can hear hear the Davy Crockett theme song playing when I see that card....but it keeps getting over-ridden but the Lost In Space theme...doo-doote, doo-doote, doo-doote, doo-doote, doo-doote, doo-doote, doo-doote, doo-doo-doo....
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    Brilliant Jay ... now all I need is the George Washington "Revolutionary War-Used" boat card from 2004 Topps image.

Robert
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Jay....sadly my CWN Set is no longer with me.

Frank...yep I hear that song EVERY time I look at that card. I have no idea what it's worth.

Joker...awesome card. What year is it?

Threeofsix...great card:

Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    I know they are actually stickers, but garbage pail kids are still funny to me!!!
  • Options
    THREEOFSIX - I even have a Herman Munster 1964 rookie card at PSA as we speak image

MANTLEFAN - I forgot that you had it out there for sale, a sweeter set doesn't exist. I guess you'll have to concentrate on your Zorro's (I'll have more on eBay tomorrow night)

JOKER - You can always buy that 1/1 Washington auto cut that was inserted into Topps this year, I think 20K may be in the ballpark...jayimage
  • Options
    Mantlefan - it's from the T-68 set, released during the late 1910/1911 time frame ... it got me hooked on tobacco issues.

Jay - I'm a history buff and all, but if I'm spending $20k on a Washington auto, it's gonna be for an entire document suitable for display in my dream den image.

Robert
  • Options
    MANTLEFAN - Thanks for the assist!!!

QUALITYCARDS - Ah yes the Herman Munster Rookie, another classic 1960's black and white design!!!

It of course reminds me of the age old card collecting debate....Mantle versus Williams....Mantle versus Williams.....Gomez versus Herman...Gomez versus Herman...(and you couldn't <gasp!> collect BOTH!!!)

I personally fall along the Munsters line.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

<< <i>Isn't picking a favorite card like asking "Which of your kids is your favorite"? There is only one answer to that question...They're ALL my favorites!! >>

threeofsix, so true.

So here are just a few of my favorite kids... ahh I mean cards...

The Wacky Packages product parity and art work for me make it one of my all time favorites. Many of the titles like Schmutz if made today would never exist in our now overly politically correct society.

I also love almost any cards dealing with TV shows of the sixties, as I spent almost all of my free time as kid in front to the tv watching shows like: The Munsters, Hogan's Heroes and Gilligan's Island. While the design of both The Munsters and Hogan's Heroes cards are nothing to write home about, I too can hear the theme songs as I look at them. And as I ready the captions I hear the voices of the charters saying the lines.

Then there is Mars Attacks. The art work on these is just stunning and imaginative and has a whole story attached to it on the backs of the cards. This card has always been one of many favorites from his set with aliens running for their lives and a tank with four big guns! It’s 2004 and we still don’t have a tank like this.

-Mike
  • Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

tough to choose just 1 card but today I pick this one, tomorrow maybe a different one.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Be very careful. The PSA modulator generally banes you for 2 weeks after posting pictures like that.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, 20 years of nothing on this thread between the recent two posts. I wonder if that was a CU board resurrection record for digging out old stuff from the archives?

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I would bet that if the non sports had their own forum there would be much more attention given. MOST big baseball,basketball, football and hockey fans and collectors have little or no interest in non sports.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pdoidoi said:
    I would bet that if the non sports had their own forum there would be much more attention given. MOST big baseball,basketball, football and hockey fans and collectors have little or no interest in non sports.

There used to be a separate non-sports forum. It was eliminated because there was almost no traffic.

• Options

I am collecting 1953 Bowman Firefighters. I have the #2 set on the registry. I bought some high grade PSA singles that were on Ebay and then shortly after I bought the #2 set on the registry, making it stronger.
    I have 2 sets of the 1977 Wonder Bread Star Wars 16 card set on the Registry.
    Quaker Pack-O-Ten Braves Of Indian Nations 1956 - One of the #1 sets on the registry.
    Quaker P.O.T Braves Of Indian Nations Sample set 1956. #2 set of only 2 on the registry.
    Quaker P.O.T WarPlanes 1957 #6 of only 6 sets on the registry.
    Ovaltine Indian Chiefs 1971 #6 of 7 sets on the registry.
    Armour Star Indian Language 1956 #6 of 7 sets on the registry.

Shortly after my dad who was a volunteer fiirefighter died , I came across the Bowman Firefighter cards and thought they would be a great set to work on in memory of my dad.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2024 5:30PM

Obviously from my avatar I am a big wacky pack guy, so I welcome non sports posts. 👍

• Options

I remember collecting them in the early 70's. I think we stuck them on anything and everything.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    Wow, 20 years of nothing on this thread between the recent two posts. I wonder if that was a CU board resurrection record for digging out old stuff from the archives?

I did that lol, just an excuse to post some smokin hot A G cards

• Options

I think most baseball card collectors that started collecting cards in the 1950's - 1980's collected some non sports. When I was very young I would buy almost any type of cards just to see what they looked like.

• Options

In addition to Wackys I remember the Monster Initials set very fondly. 1974 was a big Topps year for me at age eight.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    In addition to Wackys I remember the Monster Initials set very fondly. 1974 was a big Topps year for me at age eight.

They really put out some weird stuff when we were kids.
    I don't remember ever seeing those monster cards.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    Obviously from my avatar I am a big wacky pack guy, so I welcome non sports posts. 👍

Dave, send those packs in to be graded and holdered by PSA so they can scrunch them up tightly and mess up the back seals!

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports