Home U.S. Coin Forum

1826 Prooflike Capped Bust Half -- ** New Photos -- Before & After **

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here are the new photos that I took of my 1826 Capped Bust Half -- Before & After... As you can see there's alot more life in the new photos...

They are still a bit off-color -- I'll keep working to get that perfect shot image
imageimage

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• The rare elongated variety. image
  • Stuart, based upon the first 2 images that you provided, I would say that your coin is obviously prooflike and worth a 2-3X premium. Nice cherry pickin'. Regarding the images, you may ask airplanenut to help you with your images. He's reasonably prices and talented.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Regarding the images, you may ask airplanenut to help you with your images. He's reasonably prices and talented. >>

Why thank you image

I like that half! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • A proof-like Bust Half - very desirable! Great find!

Dan
  • VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    Nice. image
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Do the TPG's designate bust halves as PL? How common are they with the bust half series? And is the color on that 1826 original? It's hard to tell on those photos.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Oh yeah- that's a spankin' nice coin too! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your all of your positive comments on my Prooflike 1826 Capped Bust Half. image

The true color of my 1826 Bust Half is more like the lower (dull) photo, but the underlying PL luster is exhibited more in the upper (off color)photo. Although I took the photograph using "GE Reveal" bulbs, I'll try to reshoot it later this week to get a more pleasing image to show you. image

Thanks to Frank (FC57Coins) for kindly providing me with following round "corrected" more pleasing images of my 1826 Bust Half to replace the eccentic images earlier in this thread image It's nice to have friends!! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Do the TPG's designate bust halves as PL? How common are they with the bust half series? And is the color on that 1826 original? It's hard to tell on those photos....

I do not know if PCGS or NGC does but I do have an ANACS graded coin 1821 AU that is designated prooflike. It was sold as a full proof coin in a number of previous auctions including the Beck sale back in 1975 and is listed in Walter Breens book of proof coins but he doubts it is actually a full proof. It is a VERY hard coin to get a good picture of because it has such deep watery fields, here is a picture of the holder.

RR: That's a really nice 1821 PL Bust Half! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Stuart

• I wish I could get a better picture, this is one of those coins that you have to see in person to really enjoy its full affects. Below is a copy of the auction listing when it was sold in part 1 of the Beck sale Jan. 1975.

• RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Stuart: You do have some wonderous coins ... my compliments.
  • dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭
    ditto.

It is a good example of differences in taking pictures with proper lighting to get a desired effect.

how many takes before you got the picture you were comfortable with.
    RGL and DizzleCC: Thanks again for your compliments on my Prooflike 1826 Capped Bust Half. Diz I took about 10 digital photos of the Bust Half to get that specific image depicting the PL surfaces of the coin -- but I'm still not pleased with the off-color of the image.

I plan to re-shoot images of the coin within a week or two to try and capture both the true color of the coin, along with the PL surfaces.
    I've got a lot to learn about coin photography, but it's very rewarding to have such nice images of my favorite coins to share with my forum friends who also appreciate the aesthetic beauty of them.

Stuart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file