Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question regarding PNG...

Why does the PNG limit itself only to dealers with numismatic holdings in excess of $100,000?

Comments

• Clearly beause a dealer could not possibly be ethical, knowledgeable nor professional with assets of under $100,000. Geeesh. Didn't you know that?
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a point in a dealers career when he/she has $99,999.99 and they are completely unethical, yet, one cent later all of that changes?

Amazing!
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    MY what a silly question! don't you know that to provide something meaningful to numismatics, MONEY must be involved?

oh, you must have thought that it was possible to be a numismatist w/out big $$$

silly U

K S
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    PNG was originally intended for just the very large dealerships, the movers and shakers of the industry. At the time $100,000 was considered to be a very large stock. (Gross business of one to two million dollars a year was a goal for them then.) Today most anything above the level of a "Mom & Pop" shop would qualify.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if i'm not mistaken, the P in PNG stands for "professional" which relates to an individual who derives all or the greater percentage of their livelihood from the chosen endeavor, in this case, Numismatics. it should be clear that as condor101 stated the original figure of $100K was a limiting number tied to the profession of Coin Dealer. most "coin dealers" today aren't professionals from that perspective. it all has more to do with money and less with ethics or advancement of the hobby. hey, kinda like the bar association that lawyers belong to..............and judges??? what's wrong with that??

al h.image
  • PNG was originally intended for just the very large dealerships

Then why not call it the VLDG, Very Large Dealer Guild?
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>Then why not call it the VLDG, Very Large Dealer Guild? >>

You'll have to take that up with them, I didn't name the organization. By the way I'm with you, it should be Professional Coin Dealers Guild and it has little to do with Numismatics or Numismatists
  • ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    Finnally some concrete views/opinions without some fit attached. I don`t know that much about PNG and from the looks of the opinions here, it was a noble experiment that has to this point trivialized itself into something that doesn`t carry much weight and riding on past achievements and not current events. I don`t know if this is what the previous posters mean but, that is what I`m reading into this. If I`m wrong in reading it that way, I`m honestly open to hear what I maybe missing. So far in the last couple of days, it seems like it`s something that I as a small average ordinary collector should not be concerned about.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    bingo. noticed that not 1 PNGer responded to THIS THREAD

K S
  • VeepVeep Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a discussion with some office people at PNG a month or so ago. They gave me the impresison that they were considering raising the $100K amount to $200K
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file