Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ms quality of new Nickels

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
I herd that a local bank in town today recieved a quantity of the new jefferson nickels. So I stopped by a bought a brink box of $100 face. I thought it would be fun to look through and posibly pull five high end Ms coins out and send them to PCGS on modern tier.
But after looking through several rolls, I see most are in the 62-64 range with an occasional 65, possible 66. I have yet to see any higher than that.

Any body else seeing the same thing, and has any body pulled what they feel might 68 or 69?

jim

Comments

• Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I have two rolls worth of D mint that are better than that. I haven't given the close-over but there are probably half a dozen 67s in them.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey JD

i picked up some 2003-D rolls along with some 2004-P and D rolls yesterday. though i haven't looked through the 2004's as yet, they were from a large box of rolls and the outer coins don't look promising. my feeling is that the counting machines may be helping to degrade what are already weak strikes. with the 2003's, they are tubed from the local guy. he bought his coins in bag lots and i'm hoping they might have avoided the machine damage.

al h.image
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    <>>> I haven't given the close-over but there are probably half a dozen 67s in them.

If you "haven't given the close-over" then how do you know they are MS67's?

I have 1 strong MS67 candidate from 40 rolls of "D" and 1 candidate from the "P"s. They seem to be better than the 03's but not too much. I made the POP1 03-D MS67FS but suspect that there may be a handful of the 04's made in the next year but certainly not as common as some would have you believe.

• Options

<< <i><>>> I haven't given the close-over but there are probably half a dozen 67s in them.

If you "haven't given the close-over" then how do you know they are MS67's?

I have 1 strong MS67 candidate from 40 rolls of "D" and 1 candidate from the "P"s. They seem to be better than the 03's but not too much. I made the POP1 03-D MS67FS but suspect that there may be a handful of the 04's made in the next year but certainly not as common as some would have you believe. >>

Because I said probably and because I can see. I haven't taken a loupe to them and graded them up close, so I don't know they are MS67 until I do so. Is there some sort of problem as to why you constantly try picking me apart? How about reading my posts before flaming me?
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Virtually all circulating coinage used to go straight into circulation without any interference
    from collectors. Even now with large numbers of people screening these coins first the vast
    majority will go straight to circulation. It will be interesting to see all the effects this will have.

There is one obvious effect; it will become far less likely that a variety will escape notice until
    it's been in circulation a few years. Another probability is that there will be fewer issues with
    very few coins in the undergrades.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I just looked through a band new roll of Denver mint Jefferson's with the new reverse. The best coins in the roll were 64s. They were all really baggy with below average luster. If this roll is an indicator of the quality of coins coming out of the Denver mint, I'll be really happy if I come across a 66 or 67.
  • Options
    >>.Because I said probably and because I can see. I haven't taken a loupe to them and graded them up close, so I don't know they are MS67 until I do so. Is there some sort of problem as to why you constantly try picking me apart? How about reading my posts before flaming me?

When you stop pretending you know how to grade better than anyone else. Everyone here goes through these coins as well and we all know that unless you went through 200 rolls you don't have a half dozen MS67's. Of course sending them to PCGS is above you so no one can ever call you to the mat. You basically act like you know how to grade and then put those of us who send coins to grading services as some type of life form below you. I say put up or shut up. Send your Lincolns and 2004 Jeffs to PCGS and post the results for all to see or stop acting like you know how to grade better than those of us who actually do know.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I think Chuck knows how to grade. There's really no reason to call him out. If you don't believe him, just leave him alone.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeesh. coppercoins knows VERY well how to grade, and particularly, in cents. I hate to take sides in a good ol' flame war, clack, but you started off on the wrong side, IMO, here.
  • Options
    Actually I believe coppercoins knows varities but not grading. I have yet to see any results that prove me wrong. If you have examples, maybe submission results, please point them out. Statements like were made tonight don't breed confidence.

Here is a quote:
    Q:What % of PCGS slabs are over-graded IYO

"Nearly 50% of the Lincolns I have seen slabbed were overgraded, some of them were grossly overgraded - and that's not counting ACG, I don't even consider their slabs for a minute. The one I found that was least likely to overgrade Lincolns was ANACS. pcgs comes in second. The difference is that ANACS will slab trash, pcgs won't. "

"That's simply hard to believe...I don't know how many 67s I've been by and stuck back into a roll or sold for a few bucks each....stunning. "

Now certainly this is not true or the market would go bonkers if this were true but apparently we don't see what chuck sees.
  • Options
    I must chime in here, as this thread caught my eye. I never thought that I'd see such immaturity from grown people. First of all, if someone says he has something in a certain grade that isn't certified, then who are we to burst his bubble. Either it will pan out if he sends them in or it won't. End of story. If some people are good at grading raw moderns, then their successes should speak for themselves. It does no good to chastise someone else without knowing what they have (even if it's unlikely.) I could claim I am holding back an original roll of 16D dimes that I'm waiting to send in all at once. That doesn't mean I should get a dozen responses telling me to "put up or shut up." I should add that I don't know any of you personally, and I'm sure that you're good people, but this bullying mentality really should be curtailed. This is supposed to be fun, remember?
  • Options
    Centmaster - please read this thread, it would give more context. Maybe I am a littel harsh its just that I keep hearing the same thing with no proof and it gets old. Its been a long day so I may be cranky as well.

Thread link
  • Options
    Clackamas - I never claimed to know anything more than you, that was your call. I do not participate in giving my hard earned money to PCGS for grading, and no, it isn't that hard to learn to grade coins.

You took this entire matter personally from the beginning when you posted a blurry scan of a coin and blamed my screen settings for my not being able to see doubling on the coin. Actually, it is nearly impossible to scan any coin on a flatbed scanner and get the direction of light needed to show a die variety. I tried it many years ago as a raw novice at computer imaging and very quickly found out it was impossible...so I bought the correct equipment to do the job and do very well with it now.

You then insisted a 1943D cent was a particular die, which it definitely was not. In fact, you sent it to me and it became the discovery piece for a new die which I listed, then eventually put a photo of in my book with your name underneath it....right next to the die you reported yours as.

You, sir, do not know everything and are unwilling to listen to those who do not agree with your position.

As for the truth in the matter, I think it is blatantly obvious. How about if you refrain from answering my posts if everything I say has to be taken as some personal slight against you. Is that too much to ask? Your attacks are unbecoming and rude. As far as I am concerned this matter is closed.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    Clackamas - PM received and ignored. Please find someone else to harass. Thank you.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins do bunch up. For everybody who finds a few nice MS-67's there may be
    a hundred who don't see anything nicer than MS-64. ...or there may be twenty...
    or a thousand. In the old days there may not have even been more than a few dozen
    even looking so varieties and ALL the gems could have gone into circulation. This
    is just the way the mint operates. Essentially several things will go wrong in the pro-
    duction of nearly every coin. When the sun and moon line up just right then a gem
    will be cranked out. This will normally be followed by more gems and these coins will
    stay close together through counting and bagging operations.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file