Home U.S. Coin Forum

Morgan...79-S

This Morgan currently resides in an NGC MS65 holder. Would this coin cross to PCGS at the same grade? And, would it get a Prooflike designation?....Thanks in advance....Ken
.image
.image

Comments

• Nice toning.....image
    JoeCool
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Ken
    Nice coin. I'd say yes for the grade but I don't see the pl. Maybe it's the pic...

Tom
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Great reverse strike! a very nice original coin...I can be almost certain about one thing, if ngc didn't slab it PL, pcgs won't.
  • I showed the coin to NGC at Baltimore, and they said it was slabbed before they started designating Prooflike. They said it would cross to prooflike if resubmitted for designation review.....Ken
  • GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    I don't see the PL, but it looks like a 65 to me.
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04

in that case--good luck! I just received grades from a submission today which had an 83cc which was previously in an NGC MS63PL slab...you know where this is going.....I felt the coin was a weak PL (both sides displaying similar depth) but a PL nonetheless---no dice. PCGS is very tough on PL's, especially recently. When I buy PL's, I look to the blue PCGS holder w/ the barcode (newest holder).

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken: I would not recommend resubmitting your 1879-S for the following 5 reasons (Just my 100 cents worth):

1) I like the older "keyless" NGC holders which tend to cause coins to tone with a brown rim -- esp heavier towards the top of the coin (gases escaping from the paper insert prior to separating the label into a separate compartment)

2) From your photos the coin does not look PL to me (PCGS is tougher on PL's than NGC)

3) The "skid marks" in front of Miss Liberty's face will make this a tough shot-65

4) Theres' no great upside commercial benefit on an 1879-S upgrading from 64 to 65 ($50 upside -- minus grading fee)

5) It's a nice coin the way it is -- don't mess with it...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Stuart, I think I'm going to take your suggestion and leave it as it is.....Ken
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>no dice. PCGS is very tough on PL's, especially recently. When I buy PL's, I look to the blue PCGS holder w/ the bar-code (newest holder). >>

OK now just for fun.... how about I take some PL pcgs holdered coins from a time it was thought they weren't tough, re-holder them for a nominal fee.
    Now poof, I have some PL PCGS coins in their new holder and tougher standards. Or do I?image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I second that motion.

The coin is nice but I wouldn't try to cross it, not enough upside.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see Ms-64 at PCGS, reverse will keep it out of a 5 in addition to the obverse comments.
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I endorse what Stuart says.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.

OK now just for fun.... how about I take some PL pcgs holdered coins from a time it was thought they weren't tough, re-holder them for a nominal fee.

Very true--but I don't think this is done very often. Why, because there is also a question of grade, not just designation. take the old rattlers for instance, the ones designated PL...I've had much success getting a numerical upgrade, but the pl designation frequently falls off. So there is risk to simply reholdering.....the risk of an undergraded coin. Take away the pl, but bump the grade for eye appeal. I've cracked 8 pl rattlers with 5 grade increases but with a loss of 4 pl designations.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file