Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Quick poll - card saver or Top Loader and why

What is your preferred method of storing ungraded cards?

Card Saver I or acrylic top-loader and why?

Also, why is it that PSA suggets one over the other.

Cheers
You get what you pay for

Comments

• Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    PSA suggests the Card Savers since they hug the card tighter, making it more difficult for the card to move around or even fall out in transit. This is probably more important with the pre-premium or non-premium cards. I would imagine the newer, thicker cards wouldn't move much in a top loader, and might even be difficult to remove, increasing the chance of damage.

I personally prefer the top loaders since they are more rigid, and I believe this offers more protection. I don't have any problems with other people thumbing through my cards if they are in top loaders. And my cards don't really move around much. If you need to drive them to shows etc, I would consider alternatives to top loaders.
    On the other hand, if I see a non-collecting friend pick up my PSA-ready-to-be-graded stack of Card Savers, I'll immediately jump out of my chair and rush over to take them away.

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I prefer to store mine in PSA slabs! LOL

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Cardsaver Is only for PSA submissions. However, I have seen cards bend in cardsavers because they are not rigid. Certainly, I would not wan tot have boxes of these when I set up at shows. At shows, I have all of my cards in toploaders. If you fear that the card may pop out of the toploader, cover them up with team bags.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I thought PSA specified Cardsaver I or IV because it is easier to remove a card from them (a little wiggle room), thus less likelihood of the card getting damaged due to handling.
    I prefer toploaders.....find the cardsavers clumsy and I have not perfected the art of slipping a card into them without forcing it.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    I thought i saw a thread at one time that said PSA also cuts open the cards savers open instead of removing the way they went in.

-Mike
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    I thought i saw a thread at one time that said PSA also cuts open the cards savers open instead of removing the way they went in.

That is what I was told by Charlie awhile back. But then some claims they were told diffrent.

And I prefer top loads. I must I have 10,000 or so.

James
    x
  • Options
    Good insight. Now I'll tell you guys how I ship mine.

First, they go into a soft sleeve. Then, take a piece of scotch tape.... fold it over and leave just a little sticky area. I then tape the sticky area to the outside of the soft sleeve and insert the card into a top loader. What you are left with is a nice, ribbon-like, piece of tape sticking out of the top loader. Voila!! The grader only has to pull on the tape and the soft sleeve comes out of the top-loader without risk of damage. Unless, like my last order, the grader dropped a few cards resulting in corner dings.

Cheers
    You get what you pay for
  • Options
    Other than the fact you're forced to use Card Savers for the purpose of PSA submissions, I see NO purpose for them over top loaders.

Card Savers offer absolutely no protection for any mishap or pressure on a card. Case in point, was my first card won at auction which the seller , for some unknown reason, put in a Card Saver WITHOUT then bracing both sides and putting it into a regular envelope which my deliveryman then dutifully squeezed into my mailbox with magazines and other items, rubber-banded no less....my card.....creased more than Lincoln's forehead.

Toploaders are the only way to go for card storage.
  • Options
    I like these better than top loaders or card savers....very kind to corners too:

Ultra Pro One-Touch

Team set bags fit these nice and snug to keep from scratching.
  • Options

card in sleeve, then in top loader, then a piece of tape over the top to keep it from falling out
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    I just leave my cards whereever I open them that way they cant get damaged. It drives the wife batty.

(j/k)

Softsleeve/Toploader. Now adays it sems the TL's are a littel "snugger" and the card does not move as much. I do not do "vintage" yet so I cant commet just "modern" cards for now.

MrRookie,
    Do you "pinch" the tape? That way if the card does slide "up" it wont stick.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Those Ultra Pro holders with the magnetic clip are very nice, but probably too expensive for as many as I would need. Also, do they accomodate a thicker card, or just regular cards?
  • Options
    charliehustle14charliehustle14 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    CT:

I don't play around with anything much past '76 or so baseball, so I'm not sure about accomodating a thicker card. I'm at the office or I'd go look right now. Maybe a modern collector on here knows. By the way, finding these things are like pulling teeth on a pitbull...for me anyway.

Charlie
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Thanks Charlie...I bought a card at a show recently that came in one of those holders, and I thought it was a very neat concept. But, I don't recall seeing them around much. I have a few newer cards (SPX RC's) that are a bit thicker, and they would seem nicer for those than the small snap-together type holders. I am sure one of the big online supply places must carry them, in bulk probably.
  • Options
    I must just be ignorant but I submit my cards in penny sleeves and toploaders. They are easier to get in my area. The only card savers I have are ones that I received from purchasing cards. It hasn't seemed to slow anything down with PSA but my own ignorance has. image

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    Storing raw cards: penny sleave with a 1/8' slit on the one of sides, then placed inside a Top Loader. Removing card w/o penny sleave can sometimes be frustrating, thus, PSAs requirement of no TL.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I am very picky about card storage:

First off, the penny sleeve must be high quality--free of particles or air bubbles that can dent the card. (Ultra Pro Platinums work best)

Placing them in top loaders is nice as they are more rigid. However, TL are more susceptible in gathering dust from the top, so I would also put each in a team bag. That is really a nice way to store cards. Tl's are also rigid and can protect a card during those "accidents."

I like Card Saver II's as well. Most of my cards are stored in those. They are cheaper and take up less space. They are less rigid, but they protect sufficiently. I never had a card damaged in a Card Saver. They offer good protection.

Sometimes if the cards are not terribly valueable (but still don't want to compromise their condition and storage safety), I simply leave them in penny sleeves and store them in 400 ct boxes. Less expense and one can save on space. Penny sleeves are not rigid, but if the 400ct box is in a safe place, nothing is going to happen. Plus, penny sleeves prevent oxidation on cards, which is what you all should really be worried about.

So, Like both TL and Card Savers. I don't choose between the two. It depends on what I have. If I get TL's because I purchased a card in that, then I leave it in a TL. If I buy something in a very clean Card Saver, I just leave it in there. While its important to protect your cards, one also has to think economically as well.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Resurrecting a pretty old thread here, but as I'm new at this I found helpful and have something to contribute.

I would suggest never letting any of your collectible media come anywhere near scotch tape. I bought an old football program in just pristine condition which I had placed in a nice storage pouch and closed the top flap with a small piece of scotch tape. One day I was showing the program to a neighbor. Upon placing the the program back in the pouch I clumsily allowed the piece of tape to come into contact with the face of the program. Although I used extreme care in trying to peel the tape off it still pulled a tiny speck of ink with it. What was a wonderful, pristine piece of 1940's memorabilia is pristine no more.

In another thread someone suggested taping a piece of paper over the end of a top loader. This seems much safer as the sticky side of the tape need never be exposed. If there is a need to open it you can just tear the paper.

There might be types of tape that are safer to use than scotch tape, I don't know. Some tapes peel off very easily, others are near impossible to peel off--especially after having set for a period of time. But, not knowing the composition of the adhesive on the tape, once a tape contacts any surface, or even edge, of your collectible how could you ever know for sure what the result is going to be over time?