Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

coppercoins.com down indefinitely...

The server hard drive that coppercoins.com is on crashed this morning and through the day I have found out that the company it is served by does not have a disaster recovery plan - they do not have a local backup of the data that was on the drive.

While I am going through the litigation process to get them to pay to repair their problem by recovering the data bit by bit from the hard drive, coppercoins.com may or may not be operational from a different location. At the very least it will be down this weekend while I make a decision as to who can serve this site in a professional manner.

This outage will NOT affect the release of my book that many of you have already paid for. This is a separate issue altogether.

Sorry for any inconveniences it causes any of you who do use the site regularly.

For the time being, if any of you need to contact me either do so here on this board or contact me via my emergency email address at dblddies@yahoo.com

C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
The Lincoln cent store:
http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
http://www.cdaughtrey.com
USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.

Comments

• Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Sorry to hear about your Web Hosting woes. I've had my share of those where I work too. It can be a real pain.
    J'har
  • Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Chuck! Hope you get them to come thru and recover your data!!!image

• Options
    Hope you find a better website hoster.Good Luck! image
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Chuck
    I am very sorry to hear of your troubles.Your site is one of the very best for Lincoln infoemation !
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that but good luck with the recovery, coppercoins!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>While I am going through the litigation process to get them to pay to repair their problem by recovering the data bit by bit from the hard drive, coppercoins.com may or may not be operational from a different location. >>

You can't simply upload the site from your local backup once you've secured a new host?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> >>

You can't simply upload the site from your local backup once you've secured a new host?

Russ, NCNE >>

Yup. Get a new host, change DNS info to reflect the new host and upload site through FTP. Be up and running within a day.

COOPERCOINS: PM me if you want as I use a great hosting service for over 3 years which never ever had downtime. Prices are great and control panel doesn't get any simpler.

EDIT: Hope you have a back up and didnt simply rely on them. image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should bite the bullet and just recover that data. Most high quality services charge about $1700 to recover really messed up drives. I'm sure that would be less than any litigation will be.

That really sucks, sorry to hear it.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about that, Charles. I hope the company does the right thing. And installs a SAN to help prevent this problem in the future.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the crash. Hope it's back up soon.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That really sucks... at least you know the American way... sue them! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I hope you have all of the information backed up on your PC and on CDs
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I had a backup stored locally of the files on the server, but did not have a good backup of the database - so the database will have to be recovered to a point back in January which will lose a few thousand records that will have to be manually updated.

Email, the basics of the site as it was a few months ago, and the forum as it was back then will be restored and working by this time tomorrow...much work, however, will have to be done to recover completely.

I did not count on my abilities to back things up because I don't know how to completely. I resorted to the expertice of my administrator and to the company who I pay to host my site to do that part. Since the outage was their problem, it should be their problem to restore the data, so I am keeping track of everything I do in numbers of hours to recover and I will invoice them for it. If they don't pay, I will take them to court for it.

Anyhow, the site will be at least somewhat operational tomorrow.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cd...Sorry about all the problems. Your sight is awesome!! Good luck in getting it back up to full speed.image
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm betting coppercoins has a backup.

Why would the server not?
    Larry

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck getting it back up. I'm sure I'll check it often.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    imageimageimage
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this C.D. I hope things work out well for you, and you are back up and running soon.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sux really big time. I generally check the coppercoins site once or twice a day to see who has posted what on their chapt boards. Darn--I will miss it while it's down.

I hope you post another thread telling us when the site is back up and operational.

Thanks.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry to hear about that, Charles. I hope the company does the right thing. And installs a SAN to help prevent this problem in the future. >>

NWCS, I'm not sure I agree with your statement, but you are moving in the right direction. A SAN that is improperly configured can still be at risk of data loss. It requires a full disaster recovery plan which includes, but not limited to redundant discs, frequent backups and potentially clustered/mirrored storage to be fully data secure. And then you still have risk of network failures - oh what fun.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>While I am going through the litigation process to get them to pay to repair their problem by recovering the data bit by bit from the hard drive >>

i can tell u from experience, you will lose.

K S
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Seems to be fine...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file