Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone have any information about this Ebay offering (PCGS PR68 Cameo 1898 Barber half)?

coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
The coin looks familiar to me and I am skeptical about whether the seller can deliver the goods to the winning bidder. Does anyone recognize it and/or know when/if it sold elsewhere recently?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

For purposes of full disclosure, I have placed a bid on it.image

Link

Comments

• Gorgeous Barber.......

But I sure would be leary of somebody with a feedback record like his, not to mention most of his previous sales are for non coin related items that sell for only a few bucks!image Didn't see where he has ever purchased any coins either.image
  • I guess no one knows anything about this guy Mark.image
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I also looked at this lot and a red flag went up!!!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • He's in New Jersey, whats the problem, its a 200 airfare from anywhere, USA. If you win the bid you fly out with a cashiers check on the weekend, meet and make the deal.

If he says no then its obvious he's a fake.

He's also been ebayin 230 times in 6 years..

I'd still never make a deal that large except in person.

• << <i>He's in New Jersey, whats the problem, its a 200 airfare from anywhere, USA. If you win the bid you fly out with a cashiers check on the weekend, meet and make the deal.

If he says no then its obvious he's a fake. >>

Good point!image
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I, too made a few bids on this coin, but am very hesitant to go to the value it should bring. Too many weird things about the listing. No method of payments even listed. This could easily be a $15-20K coin based on auction records at Heritage. Something fishy about this one I'm afraid.

Dr. Pete
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not saying that it is the same one but it looks very similar to one sold by Legend a while back...

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A coin of that calibre, sure would try to post better pic's. Has anyone asked for him to provide additional photo's?

jim

• << <i>I, too made a few bids on this coin, but am very hesitant to go to the value it should bring. Too many weird things about the listing. No method of payments even listed. This could easily be a $15-20K coin based on auction records at Heritage. Something fishy about this one I'm afraid. >>

Very fishy Dr. Steve!image

• << <i>A coin of that calibre, sure would try to post better pic's. Has anyone asked for him to provide additional photo's?

jim >>

All current bidders that I know have been warned via PM's Jim.
  • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    I hear the seller goes by the name of Tony Soprano.

You can always go to Joyzee and muscle your $$ out of him. image

• relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

He ended the auction because of an error in the listing.

I guess he realized he didn't own the coin after all. image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

• << <i>

<< <i>A coin of that calibre, sure would try to post better pic's. Has anyone asked for him to provide additional photo's?

jim >>

All current bidders that I know have been warned via PM's Jim. >>

Correction Jim....... Dr. Steve had signed off before he received my PM!image
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Two of the highest bidders are posting to this forum... I may be a novice, about ebay, but if you feel this ain't Kosher, why get involved ??

Its a beautiful coin none the less.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

• << <i>Two of the highest bidders are posting to this forum... I may be a novice, about ebay, but if you feel this ain't Kosher, why get involved ??

Its a beautiful coin none the less. >>

Why get envolved you ask...... The question doesn't really deserve an answer, but would you let a friend get ripped for several grand if you thought that was about to take place? If so then I wouldn't call you my friend.image
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭
    It's gone!!!!!!!image I leave for a few minutes to walk the dog and all hell breaks loose here.

Joe image
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image

• << <i>Why get envolved you ask...... The question doesn't really deserve an answer, but would you let a friend get ripped for several grand if you thought that was about to take place? If so then I wouldn't call you my friend >>

Is anyone here really stupid enough to send off 5-10 grand to a seller they don't know personally and wait for the coin in the mail?

• << <i>

<< <i>Why get envolved you ask...... The question doesn't really deserve an answer, but would you let a friend get ripped for several grand if you thought that was about to take place? If so then I wouldn't call you my friend >>

Is anyone here really stupid enough to send off 5-10 grand to a seller they don't know personally and wait for the coin in the mail? >>

The sale has been cancelled for your information, and I would give 10 to 1 odds that it was because he was either found out, are that he read the remark about Tony Soprano!image

BTW...... Your right you don't even want to go near Ebay if you have no experience there, are you will be their next sucker!
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭
    I saw that Monday night and sat and thought about it for awhile before deciding to pass. I checked the types of items he has bought and sold before and this seemed to be the odd item out. Pictures look a little too professional too. I don't think it's worth the risk.

WH
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    nice coin, crappy picture. Oh yeah, I would drop big money based on a postage stamp pic.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

• << <i>I saw that Monday night and sat and thought about it for awhile before deciding to pass. I checked the types of items he has bought and sold before and this seemed to be the odd item out. Pictures look a little too professional too. I don't think it's worth the risk.

WH >>

Trust me Wayne the guy was outed!image
  • Look at the bid history--the "seller" actually cancelled one person's bids for having too much negative feedback!
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file