Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

warning ....must read!

in the last 2 hours...i've recieved 9 ....yes 9....emails with viruses either in.... or attached to the email.

Now for the disturbing part....one of these virus laden turds has his email address as johnscoins@hotmail.com

buckle up theres a virus storm a brewin' and their callin' themselves coin dealers!

Comments

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Subject: Alert! Virus W32.Netsky.P@mm Moderate

WARNING: W32.Netsky.P@mm
    Threat level: Category 3, Moderate (scale of 1-5)
    Type:
    Worm
    Protection Updates: March 22, 2004 (via LiveUpdate)

What is W32.Netsky.P@mm and how does it affect me?
    W32.Netsky.P@mm, also known as W32.Netsky.Q@mm, is yet another varient of the Netsky worm, a mass-mailing worm that uses its own SMTP engine to send itself to the email addresses it finds when scanning hard
    drives and/or mapped drives. The worm also tries to spread through various file-sharing programs by copying itself into various shared folders.

The "From" line of the email is spoofed, and its "Subject" line and
    message body vary.

The attachment name varies with .exe, .pif, .scr, or .zip file extension.

Also, this threat is compressed with FSG.

Notes:
    - Symantec Consumer products that support Worm Blocking functionality
    automatically detect this threat as it attempts to spread.

- The worm's executable has a static MD5 hash value of 0x0A9FFA57D65083
    C92E0D3D69B00F2F0D.m.

- Rapid release definitions dated March 21, 2004 or March 22, 2004 may
    detect this threat as W32.Netsky.Q@mm.

To read more about the W32.Netsky.P@mm, please click here.

This worm is currently undergoing analysis. The record at Security Response will be updated as information becomes available.

What action can I take from here?

Go to Symantec Security Response for posted virus
    definitions!
    All users of Norton AntiVirus
    who do not have up-to-date virus protection should
    immediately run LiveUpdate for protection from
    W32.Netsky.K@mm.

Virus definitions are available via the LiveUpdate feature in the Norton AntiVirus product or the Symantec Security Response Web site.

Symantec Security Response encourages all Norton AntiVirus users to regularly download virus definitions in order to protect against future threats. For more information on how to run LiveUpdate, please click here.

Run LiveUpdate
    Virus definitions are available via the LiveUpdate
    feature in the Norton AntiVirus product or the
    Symantec Security Response Web site.

Upgrade Norton AntiVirus(TM)
    If you have an older version of Norton AntiVirus
    and would like to upgrade to Norton AntiVirus 2004,
    please go here:

http://nct.symantecstore.com/0001/upgrade_center.html

Norton AntiVirus(TM) 2004
    To purchase Norton AntiVirus (TM) 2004, please go here:

http://www.symantecstore.com/51410/nav

UPGRADE CUSTOMERS - If you have an older version of Norton AntiVirus and would like to upgrade to Norton AntiVirus 2004, please click here.

NEW CUSTOMERS - If you would like to purchase Norton AntiVirus 2004, please click here.

Sincerely,

Symantec Security Response Team
    Symantec Corporation

Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I love my delete button!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I got the Netsky virus when I opened a work email from home. It attacked my email addresses, and I could not send or receive emails for a couple of days, I had trouble clicking on my Norton ( which had expired and I neglected to renew ) ...finally, after it sent out 645 viral infected emails, I was able to get Norton on line and renew. What a Pain in The A$$.

People from work were wondering why I was sending them images of coins...it is a very tricky worm. Now, I never open any work email from home !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I think it's Norton sending these emails, what better way to make money.
    LOOKING FOR PCGS MS 68-SACAGAWEAS AND MS67 SBA'S
    DID I WIN???
    RATS
    I NEVER WIN.
  • Options
    mozeppa, you should post a link to this tread on the us coin forum. I would but its your tread.

This was posted on another Forum of which I am a member (model trains). It was posted by the Administrator of the Forum who has been around for quite a while.
    I did this yesterday and do not know if it works yet. I think it should.

Larry

This might just work and help your friends

I got this the other day from a friend, It's clean, just some advise but it makes sense. Give it a read and use it if you want, can't hurt and will probably end some of this stupidity being spread by these nuts that are creating viruses

HOW TO PROTECT YOUR ADDRESS BOOK

I learned a computer trick today that's really ingenious in its simplicity. As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer it heads straight for your e-mail address book, and sends itself to everyone in there, thus infecting all your friends and associates.

This trick won't keep the virus from getting into your computer,but it will stop it from using your address book to spread further,and it will alert you to the fact, that the worm has gotten into your system.

Here's what you do: first, open your address book and click on"new contact", Just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of e-mail addresses. In the window where you would type your friend's first name, type in 000-000. Also use address 000-000@000.000

Now. Here's what you've done and why it works:The name 000-000 will be placed at the top of your address book as entry #1.This will be where the worm will start in an effort to send itself to all your friends. But, when it tries to send itself to 000-000, It will be undeliverable because of the phony e-mail address you entered.

If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony address),the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected.

Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an e-mail cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in your In Box almost immediately. Hence, if you ever get an e-mail telling you that an e-mail addressed to 000-000 could not be delivered, you know right away that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps to get rid of it! Pretty slick,huh? If everybody you know does this then you need not ever worry about opening mail from friends. Pass this on to all your friends. Ask them to put it in their address books.