Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Roach, the suspense is killing me, what did BGS say?

What was their response to your flogging of them at the Sun Times Show? Enquiring minds want to know...
Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com

Comments

• Options
    Ok here ya go Jason. For anyone that doesn't know, I live about 15 minutes away from Rosemont, IL so I went to the latest big "Chicago" show to get some autographs from a few guys that were there. I knew Jason was going to be there so I stopped by his table to introduce myself and then I let him know that I was going to drill BGS about all of the talk we have been having. They set up there to accept submissions and for on site grading.

Anyway, I walked up to the booth at one time and saw that both of the reps were busy with questions and submissions, so I went back later. I waved one of the guys over and I explained that I buy and sell alot on Ebay and I noticed lots of remarks and accusations about BGS grading trimmed cards. He flat out denied any knowledge of that, and went on to say that he was aware of all the issues that we are. I brought up the Prior card and he was fully aware of that one but I could tell that he wanted to move on in our discussion. I still attacked about the issue. I asked how a 9 could go to a 10 and he said that it was just the way it was looked at the first time by whoever graded it.

As for Beckett allowing cards to be shaved or trimmed 1/32 in any direction, he said that as long as the card fit the measurements that every other card does, it will get graded. He stated that some cards come out of packs actually a bit longer than they should and if it was trimmed down to normal size, it would get graded. But he did say that if a card showed any evidence of trimming, they wouldn't grade it?? I also asked how many people look at each card, and he said "at least 2 people look at every card".

I questioned the huge increase in the amount of BGS 10's that are out there now and he just said that cards are coming out of packs in better condition than they used to. After thinking about that, it's more BS. Beckett established themselves as a grading company long after there was Chrome cards, etc.. these cards were around a few years before they started grading, or at least got remotely popular. '93 Finest was one of the first, if not the first, CHROME style card.

All in all, the guy seemed pretty uncomfortable and he seemed to want to get out of the conversation before someone walked up. I did confirm that they are very aware of every issue that we bring up on these boards.

I walked past hundreds of tables with ungraded and graded cards. I thought to myself that it really isn't even safe to collect anything these days unless it comes out of a pack that you purchased, and I would rather not do that all the time. There was lots of nice looking UNGRADED cards on every table, but what guarantees me that they weren't tampered with? I never used to think that way up until a few months ago. It sucks.

BGS is a shady company and that's it. I still wouldn't mind having a raw card get graded a BGS 9.5 or 10 for monetary reasons, but I wouldn't trust too many cards that are already graded by them. Sure, alot are legit, but which ones? It's a gamble with thes grading companies.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also asked how many people look at each card, and he said "at least 2 people look at every card". >>

Roach
    What does that mean - sounds like 'spin' - with the amount of submissions they have to handle, you can bet that a Precise amount of people view a card - probably one - otherwise the scenario would be like - "hey George ya wanna look at these? Naw, you and John can - whatever you guys see is OK with me - I'll get the next bunch - eatin a burrito right now"
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

I think that 2 people looking at each card is very believable.I mean,someone has to open the package and verify that the cards are in the package. imageAnd then there is the grader.image

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.