Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

AROD: Is the sky the limit to his RC's?

I need some feedback.

About three months ago I opened a box of 1994 Leaf Limited packs. Yep, I lucked out and got an Alex Rodriguez. I sent it to PSA and it got a PSA 9. Back when I first got the card, I believe PSA 9's where going for about $200 to $250. About three weeks ago, they were bringing $300. I just checked Ebay, and now they are bringing $360 to $380. Since, I have basically nothing in the card, I figure that I will hang on to it for the long term. Is the sky the limit for a card like this? Should I sell it now? My luck is that he will have a career ending injury and, well, you know.

By the way, SMR lists the PSA 9 at $210. I would love to buy a truck load at that price!

Shane

Comments

• Options
    I would say that card is close to topping off. AROD has clearly proven what he can do and everyone knows it. I'd sell fast. If he has a "subpar" year where he hits "only" 40 homeruns, the card and interest in it will go down. Would you hold onto a $300 stock? Probably not. You would be much better off with 15 $20 stocks (cards) and going from there. Sell the card and reinvest in a younger player like Sean Burroughs. As more of these cards (AROD) get graded, the price will come down, assuming the demand doesn't spike. Keep in mind that PSA 10 Jordans were at $45,000 at one time. You can buy them now for 1/10th of that.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    poeandbb,

Thanks for the feedback. I see what you are saying, but keep in mind that Jordan was at the end of his career. A Rod is at the BEGINING of his prime. If he stays healthy, he could hit 800 homeruns.

Shane

• Options
    How many were produced, a zillion? How many Ebay listed, at card shows and shops? Go buy a nice hard to find pre-WWII card for the money.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    It wont be his "on field" performance that tanks it.

With todays moral climate...married guys should stay away from strip clubs

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    5000 to be exact. This card is #'d.

By the way, I do love vintage cards. I might have to agree with you.

Shane

• Options
    Okay, my bad. I shouldn't lump all the refractor, Heritage, Yugigogeewhatchamacallit, modern glossy, mass produced cards into one lot. 5000 is a sizable number, I'll pay $1.38, any takers?image
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    I agree that the card has basically topped off--it seems to me people only spend crazy money on newer RC's when the player A) hasn't played in the major's yet or B) possibly has more of an upside than where he is currently as a ballplayer. An example would be Albert Pujols. I think alot of people think he has the skills to possibly post a .360 with 60 homer season (basically a Ruth or Gehrig year), and that's why his cards are so high--speculation! A-Rod should hit .300 with 50 homers this year. An unbelievable year to be sure, but people don't really expect much more from him, as we've seen what he can do over the past 8 years or so. I'm not saying he's not a great player, but everyone wants the next big thing, and once that player gets into a grove where you know, year after year what he's going to do, the demand dies a bit, or sometimes ALOT. There is a chance that card could reach $400++, but more than likely, after the season starts and he starts putting up his usual numbers, the demand will decrease and so will the price. He would really have to do something super-human for that card to start to move much higher (ie. .340 60 170)--unlikely to be sure.
    Just my thoughts,
    Jay
  • Options
    $1.38? I have to have at least $5.00!image

Shane

• Options
    with Arod in NY, who knows. i thought the Pujols Chrome rookie would never reach $500 again, and look at it now.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    He's probably close to peaking, unless he starts off unbelievably hot, or has a 5-homer game, or does something to suddenly cause everyone who doesn't have some A-Rod cards to want them. But they probably won't drop off much till next winter, unless he has an incredibly poor start, or a major injury, or something. Since being traded to NY, his cards have shot way up, and there's no reason to think they'll go down soon or suddenly. I was tracking his PSA 9 94 SP Holoview, and they were selling for $40-50 since last summer. In the few weeks after the trade, they were up to about $80.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay