Home U.S. Coin Forum

WOW!!!

Check this out!
Link
Coins, shiny coins!

Comments

• Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Why discuss everyone those thing lately?????

Nice coins though...

Dennis
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    What's funny is you can still buy sets for $80 here.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Err, nobody wants to give me props for selling mine last Thursday, the night of the $595 tug-o-war? image I saw the writing on the wall, so I put 'em up BIN for $145 and sold them within a half hour. Got the money order in yesterday's mail.

Ebay auction # 3904068019

Then I turned around and BIN's another set for myself for $80. Net result is I get my set for $20 or so.

C'mon. Someone give me an atta boy or something image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Weiss
    How about a "you suck". That's a compliment on these boards!!!

Nice turnaround and now you own a pair of those nics at a great price!!

Tom
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken
    Shucks, thank you image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Is it my imagination or are these things the equivilent of "official marshall islands legal tender" "coins"??

1500 to create the dies.
    A "buck" ( or so) over spot silver to strike a bunch of them.

Am I missing something here?

TP image
    Yeah, kind of like listing MS66 85-CCs at 60% over ask and coming here to promote them. image
    mrearlygold, I think they are more and less than "marshall island" coins.

They're not even issued by a government of any kind. But they're also produced in the US.

They're extremely well executed. They are historically accurate representations of what the Schlag design should have been, kind of like the 1999 washington $5 gold coin was the quarter that should have been.

They're silver. They're limited production. They're slabbed.

I think these will become THE ancillary item collected with the Jefferson nickel series.

The Jeff nickels seem to be picking up. If there are 500,000 Jeff collectors in the world, fewer than 1/2 of 1% can have these.

At $80, that doesn't seem like a bad risk.
    --Severian the Lame

<< <i>Yeah, kind of like listing MS66 85-CCs at 60% over ask and coming here to promote them. image >>

You have no standing to even comment on these coins. You don't "buy" them remember?

TP

<< <i>mrearlygold, I think they are more and less than "marshall island" coins.

They're not even issued by a government of any kind. But they're also produced in the US.

They're extremely well executed. They are historically accurate representations of what the Schlag design should have been, kind of like the 1999 washington $5 gold coin was the quarter that should have been.

They're silver. They're limited production. They're slabbed.

I think these will become THE ancillary item collected with the Jefferson nickel series.

The Jeff nickels seem to be picking up. If there are 500,000 Jeff collectors in the world, fewer than 1/2 of 1% can have these.

At $80, that doesn't seem like a bad risk. >>

Ok, I was just commenting. Why not contact the Highland Mint and make them yourselves then? It's no big deal to do so.

Rgrds
    TP

<< <i>You have no standing to even comment on these coins. You don't "buy" them remember? >>

You're right, not at the outrageous prices you charge for them.

<< <i>

<< <i>You have no standing to even comment on these coins. You don't "buy" them remember? >>

You're right, not at the outrageous prices you charge for them. >>

You're too funny. A buyer and wanna be seller of ( at best) marginal coins , opening his mouth.

Really funny.

TP

Wannabe seller huh? No, you are funny. I stick to lower price material because it's easier to sell. At least I am not trying to promote "coin investing". Any collector who has been around any length of time knows what that means. Apparently you don't, and I see those two 85-CCs are still sitting on your website.
    Easier to sell? Depends on the level you are at .

I'll see you around in other places here I am quite sure. But this thread was about medals I believe.

TP
    No, this thread was about the Jefferson repros which you decided to come into with your arrogant attitude.

<< <i>No, this thread was about the Jefferson repros which you decided to come into with your arrogant attitude. >>

Which are commonly referred to as medals. But you're a pro so you should know that.

TP
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    holy Highjacked threads Batman!!!!!!!!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

<< <i>holy Highjacked threads Batman!!!!!!!! >>

You're right Lucy.

By the way, my wife thanks you for the 55 Frankie.

Rgrds
    TP
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    aha!!!

Crazy Daddy-o!!!!!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    1500 to create the dies.
    A "buck" ( or so) over spot silver to strike a bunch of them.

Am I missing something here?

Nope, you're not missing anything. There's no difference between these and the Morgan dollars made by the U.S. Mint - except they're making a lot fewer of them.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
    Heck, why pay $19,000 for a Rolex that has $400 worth of gold in it?

Doing some calculations in my head was interesting. Somebody stop me if I'm way off base on any of these:

$1,500 for dies (if that is actually what they cost)
    $6,000 for silver ($6 per ounce x 1938 coins x 2 @ .25 oz each)
    $10,000 for slabbing (Just a guess: 1938 x 2 x $2.50 each)

That's close to a $20,000 commitment right there. And I'm assuming that doesn't include the cost of milling an unusual size blank and striking the coins. Nor does it include transportation to and from the gallery mint or to segs and back again. Certainly doesn't include any staff time in the minting process or the inventory or shipping process. Doesn't cover the cost of the eBay listings or what ever marketing they do, if any.

After all's said and done, I'd guess $10 to $15 per coin is their cost. And as I understand it, their original offering price was considerably less than the current $40 per coin. And club members get them even cheaper, or even free?

If my calculations are correct, FSNC will make $80,000 to $100,000 over a period of a couple years, if they sell out of the entire series. Doesn't seem like that much to me.
    --Severian the Lame
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I feel strongly both ways...image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file