Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Happy birthday to me!

Yup, 44 today. And nature's starting to play the little tricks on me that it plays on older guys. The other day I noticed an inch-long hair sticking out from the side of my head, and thinking it was just another one that had come loose, I pulled on it. To my surprise, it was still attached--to the top of my ear! I've had a pretty good crop in my ears for a while, but never one on top! I thought for a minute about saving it for a comb-over, but I pulled it. It'll grow back by the time I need it.

Lately I've been finding myself doing the old guy thing where I have to hold a card 18 inches from my face and tip my head back in order to focus on the corners. My shoulders hurt for no reason, other than maybe using the mouse a lot. My girlfriend keeps asking "What kind of bird is that singing?", but I don't hear anything. I don't get carded anymore, even in the places where they say they card everyone under 50.

Oh well, my buddies have been complaining about achy joints for 10 years. I still have most of my hair, even if you don't count ear hair. I still don't need glasses, though I can tell my time is coming. Man, 44! I remember when my mom was 27 and I thought she was old!

Oops, wait a minute. Is this the Sports Card Forum? I thought it was the Middle-Aged Men's Support Group Forum.

Or maybe it is. image

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Minty!!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Happy Birthday, you old fart.

Seriously, I know how you feel. I am on the other side of 35 (barely), but I know I never thought that I would be here. Card collecting actually is one of the hobbies that keeps me young.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy birthay Mintman!
    I know exactly how you feel. About the holding the card back - there was a point where I Wasn't aware I needed glasses - it cost me - a purchased a 66T #1 Mays for what I thought was a really great price - I swear this is the truth - a few years later I needed glasses (earlier actually) - I was working on the set - raw - looked at the Mays and was upset that I had accidentally put a light crease in the corner - thought about it - The Crease Was Always There! My bad. On the bright side - I think collecting cards - putting sets together and talking sports does wonders for your youthfulness.
    So have a good birthday - us old guys have to stick together.image
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

KING KELLOGG, Habs, myself, and a few others,
    think of you guys in your mid-forties as the youngsters around here. image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

Happy Birthday!
    imageimageimageimageimage
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Ah, the good ole ear hair ... at 36 I am starting to get some on the inside, so I imagine I am not far behind.

I do notice the occasional extra long eyebrow hair as well ...
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Happy birthday! By the way, I'm a decade older than you and, so, you don't seem so old. I always remember what some interviewer asked Burt Reynolds (I think it was Burt), "do you worry about getting old?" He said "no, because I'm gonna be a cool old man."
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.