Home U.S. Coin Forum

The folks across the street are going nuts after David Hall's comments today!

AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    It would seem that it doesnt take much to amuse the

children across the street.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • the little trekkie spas children should invest in better helmets ~ the ride on the NGC short bus may get pretty rocky in the years to come

Home Shopping Channel alliances, NCS, and liberal 70 grades may all contribute to an even greater spread between PCGS and NGC values... image
    Sometimes a company trying to be all things to all types of associations

and commercial enterprises, can cost a company its focus and its credability.

The desire to keep all of those disperit folks happy ,can lead to loss of quality.
    Camelotimage
  • Since I don't collect slabbed coins and never have, I don't have a dog in the pcgs/ngc fight. After reading the posts "across the street", I will say I think they have a point about D. Hall making a petty statement about the PNG indorsement. It certainly wasn't the sort of statement you'd expect from a professional.

• << <i>It certainly wasn't the sort of statement you'd expect from a professional. >>

Perhaps this is true, but it is kinda nice to see someone at the top let their hair down and spare us the politically correct canned notice of change.
  • All so very interesting but............as a coin Buyer it doesn't matter to me.
    I own PCGS - NGC - ANACS slabbed coins and I am satisfied that I got a fair
    grade on my coins from each service. I don't just buy my slabbed coins because
    the ANA or whoever is backing someone. Heck boys, I don't even belong to
    the ANA!

Alex in Alaska
    Collecting Morgans in Any Grade
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    I think it is good to know why pcgs is no longer the offical grading service of the png if you care about it.
    So now I know its about who bids more and not about who the orginization feels is better.

I guess the A.N.A. does the same thing?

• BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Well I belong to the ANA organization and still cannot get over how they whored themselves several

years ago when they awarded, of all people, David Sundman of Littleton Coin Company , the

Presidential Award for promoting the hobby. That told me all I needed to know about the ANA.

This lust for money by all parties stinks all to be damn. How about some good old fashioned integrity

and attention to detail and getting the job done right the FIRST time? If PCGS plays it's cards right ,

they could destroy NGC....Think about it!

By the same token, if PCGS doesn't make some internal adjustments people will get fed up and they

stand to lose big time! Whichever way you choose to look at it there is opportunity here somewhere!

As for PNG-they're the biggest prostitute of them all. As several people have already mentioned

had a lesser company coughed up the bucks and gotten the endorsement- they would still be a

lesser grading service! All of this is much to do about absolutely nothing! BF Deal.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    You guys really must not be so sure about your PCGS koolaid if every time someone on the other forums posts something about it, you feel you have to respond. Get over it and quit whining.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Muh ado about nothing.
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    As collectors/ paying customers...what do we care about most of all? ACCURACY IN GRADING/

attention to detail and timely turnaround. That IS the bottom line! NOT some logo.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    why exactly does anyone care who's the grading service endorsed by the crooks in the png? i don't get it.

K S
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been some excellent observations and comments across the street.

Tempus fugit.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There have been some excellent observations and comments across the street. >>

Without a question your observation matches mine exactly. Even the little squabble brought out some very good observations.

Ken
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys really must not be so sure about your PCGS koolaid if every time someone on the other forums posts something about it, you feel you have to respond. Get over it and quit whining.

ditto Mike

I agree with the ANA/Litleton angle - totally reeks of s--t - and I mean the smelly kind!
    I additonally have no respect for PNG altogther either especially when they booted Gillio irresponsibly before he was exonerated.
    They botyh can keep their NGC endorsements.

PCGS rules in respectibilty and conservative grading. AND when it comes time to sell PCGS gets better $ than NGC eyes closed.
    I'm sticking with the winner!

Marc
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The koolaid flows on.

If you read the second link given about breaking PNG's rules of ethics, it should be noted that David Hall has now edited his post to remove what was said. Interesting to say the least.

The other thread just disappeared!
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    It seems like it has the powers that be on this side of the street upset as well. They have pulled the thread with his comments.
  • You are right - I was on page 4 of the thread that DH left, and when I hit refresh it was gone. Wow.
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yawn image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Removal of the thread is more proof that the people across the street have valid points.
  • It's back!

Link
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The koolaid flows on. >>

The Koolaid flows just as heavily over at sleepy hollow, it just has a more bitter taste.

<< <i>The other thread just disappeared! >>

The other thread is right here.

Russ, NCNE
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    two things which i see as salient points relative to this, the first about PCGS and NGC, the second about the members who post at both forums.

about PCGS and NGC------i find it interseting that while NGC is expanding, PCGS is down-sizing. my opinion is that it has nothing to do with real business--submissions and grading coins--in a direct way. more to do with trying to gain market share for NGC and for PCGS to hold what they have and focus more on that single thing.

members who post at both forums------you should be careful about making hypocritical statements at either forum. some of the comments here and there are disturbing. it's almost some say what they need to say to be "in" while forgetting that many read and remember what they say. credibility is important and has a value.

al h.image
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The koolaid flows on. >>

The Koolaid flows just as heavily over at sleepy hollow, it just has a more bitter taste.

<< <i>The other thread just disappeared! >>

The other thread is right here.

Russ, NCNE >>

No one said the koolaid doesn't flow both ways. Funny to read the comments is all.

The thread was gone for a while, and now returned. Carol said it was a mistake and they put it back.

Edited to add: Now Julian's thread is missing.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets: I post on both sites.... though I've about had enough of the vitriol leveled at PCGS across the street. I am fully aware that all my posts are open for all to see. I try to present a balanced view of the TPG's - both positive and negative.

The fact is that PCGS and NGC are 99% the same. They both are great assets to the collecting community. Funny how the focus on that little 1% can become so inflammatory!

<< <i>The thread was gone for a while, and now returned. Carol said it was a mistake and they put it back. >>

That one isn't the "other" thread, it's the David Hall thread. The "other" thread was never gone.

Russ, NCNE
  • Yeah, well now I have educated myself about who the PNG are and I'm not at all impressed. The thing with Ron Gillio is ridiculous. I'm from Santa Barbara and have bought some things from him. I think he is a grumpy ol' grump, but he sells quality coins at fair prices and isn't even a little bit shady. What a joke!

I think Mr. Hall should just laugh it off. I really don't think this is going to have a significant impact on his business. In fact, I believe he already has more than he can handle with the slow grading times. As long as he is able to maintain current quality, PCGS will be fine with or without PNG's blessing.

We all are now aware that these endorsements have been paid for, so we can evaluate the worth of the endorsements based on our knowledge.
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    What is it with the "us vs. them" thing? I see it on both sides of the street. NGC and PCGS both have strong and weak points. The only reason I don't really post much over there is that I find their message board program a little more difficult to navigate, and there is much less traffic over there.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey ealandg

watch it girl, you're thinking with the wrong side of your brain again!!!!image

al h.image
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    Let me just say, as somebody who has had some experience over the years with "sealed bidding," THAT DON'T SOUND LIKE NO SEALED BIDDING TO ME! The numbers and concepts are way too close. Somebody did some talkin' methinks.
    DSW

<< <i>members who post at both forums------you should be careful about making hypocritical statements at either forum. some of the comments here and there are disturbing. it's almost some say what they need to say to be "in" while forgetting that many read and remember what they say. credibility is important and has a value. >>

Some are "Straight Shooters" and some are the "In" people. Its really quite easy to pick the "In" people out and somewhat funny to read their responses about a simuliar subject on both boards. Sometimes I think they CRS from one moment untill the next.....or so it seems.

Ken
    Some statements seem credibile, some are incredible some are just silly

some are mean spirited and some are just tripe.Its impossible to be the in folks

on both Forums. Make your choice and stick with it, or be factual and consistant on both.

Fairaneman, well said and very true.
    Camelotimage
  • ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    As this has linked to the other forum with my comments, it seems necessary to add why I said as I said. I`ve know very little about PNG and considerable less then alot of people that have aired there take. I`m not that concerned about being " cool " or " rad " or " the hipmister ". Only to try to pump for information is why I posted across the street; to get more information and other points of view. There isn`t any thing sinister to read into my post. It`s a honest opinion up to that point that I gave over there. I don`t consider keets post as a jab to me as it`s a honest, realistic observation. People do talk behind other peoples backs. It`s part of life and dealing with people.

So far from what I can decipher up to this point is that a business version of a chess game was played with a prize to be won. One side won the other lost. One side is glad of it, the other side isn`t. Both sides considered the prize worth the time, effert, and money to go for it. It is important to the people/companies that bid for it. But there are still questions that are still aren`t satisfied for me.

Who or what is PNG?
    What is it that they stand for that is worth bidding for a 3 year. $500,000+ contract ?
    Why is it worth that much to them that they bid for the disticntion and announce it to the general public?
    How does that effect me as a consumer of thier product, specifically NGC and PCGS?

Up to this point, these are the concerns I have.
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    NGC paid too much, these bids are really large for what seems a minor thing. To go from 140,000 to half-a-million must have been several rounds of bidding. PCGS probably just got tired of PNG coming back and saying "Is this your final bid?"

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It would seem that it doesnt take much to amuse the

children across the street. >>

Hahahahahaha really!

TPimage
  • All of this poppyco*k is very much ado about nothing.
  • spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    And I suppose I would be correct in assuming that, had the endorsement gone to PCGS, that the powers-that-be in NGC would come out publicly with a similar DH-type response?

I think NOT!
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    As most of you know I post on both boards and I also root for the Cubs and the White Sox. It's interesting to me as a study in human nature how some of you who should know better especially you bear, given your age and wisdom that some of us don't define ourselves by what teams we root for, what organizations we do or don't belong too. Both NGC and PCGS are great companies who both accidently and on purpose sometimes add to the enjoyment of our hobby. It's really that simple, all this crap about which company is better then another is just that, crap. Why do you want to try and pit one group against another? Good for you and the others that defend PCGS to the hilt and can't wait to put down others who may not share your same level of enthusiasm. Quit with the cheap shots, they only shine a bad light on the shooter not the target.

I will continue to post on both boards, as well as read both. I have never felt that it is one board agains the other. This reminds me of junior high, we should all know and do better. It's also interesting to note that some of the most tiresome comments about the other board come from members here who tried to instigate problems on the NGC board, got run off and now spew their invective here. It truly is a sad day to read some of these comments. No one is all good or all bad.
    Pretty easy to tell who a "Straight Shooter" is also.

Bravo...Mike...image

Ken

<< <i>Quit with the cheap shots, they only shine a bad light on the shooter not the target. >>

It's a good thing there are never any cheap shots leveled over at the NGC forums.

<< <i>It's also interesting to note that some of the most tiresome comments about the other board come from members here who tried to instigate problems on the NGC board, got run off and now spew their invective here. >>

It's a good thing the reverse has never happened.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file