Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin album suggestions

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just finished grading and pricing a nice BU set of silver coins that had evidently been in an old Whitman album with the glossy slides over the openings. Unfortunately, whoever owned the coins didn't push the coins in far enough and when the coins were placed in or taken out the slides placed light scratches across the faces. Many of the once BU coins now grade AU 58 due to the hairlines and friction on the high points. In the old days we graded them AU58 with cabinet friction.
The moral of this is: "If you must use one of these albums, push the coins in as far as they will go before sliding in the covers!" I wouldn't recommend this type album, because over the years I have seen thousands of coins destroyed because of them.
====
Now, time to start on another box that came in today.
Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I hate those albums...I use 2x2 archival safe flips with 20 pocket Cowens pages. Nothing like having an album you can rearrange!
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I use a set of Eagle slab albums, if it is not worth slabbing I don't collect it.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    My best suggestion on coin albums is to send them to me!!!!! image
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

suggestion: slide the back plastic instead of the front, & make sure the back is pushed in enough.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file