Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinion On Kennedy Bank Roll

I have the opportunity to buy an original shot gun roll of 1964 Kennedy Halves, for a very reasonable price. The end coins are both nicely end roll toned.

any merit?, or commonly available? opinions from Kennedy heads, please
"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."

Comments

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if its a good price get them and sell them to Russ for a profit image
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Opinion On Kennedy Bank Roll

I think they do have quite a large bank roll yes.
    <rim shot>
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may make a good silver play and there could be a spectacular gem but this
    is the second or third most common of all unc Kennedy rolls. Only the 64-D and
    '76-D are likely to be more common.
    Tempus fugit.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    If it's a geniunely original roll, it's actually rather scarce. Lots are advertised as original, but are not. Even if original, though, the coins will likely average no better than MS63 and if you're lucky you may find one gem.

Russ, NCNE
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I have such a roll, that I believe to be original. It certainly seems to be original. It's old, at the very least, with OK, not fantastic endroll toning. Either way, I have been debating whether to open it.

What would any of you guys do?
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Don't let me get hold of it. I never can leave anything unopened. It's all I can do to resist opening my 04 nickel rolls.image How do people do it?
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
    My Dad let me clean out an old bank box we had and in it was a few `64D quarter rolls and a Kennedy
    roll of `64 Ps if i remember right.
    the rolls were not original wrapped bank rolls so i went through them all just to look and they are all
    probably like Russ says all 63s mainly and maybe one gem.
    One Half though struck me funny as it was unlike the whole roll in appearance of die state.
    This one looks like it has a matte-finish comared to the others. Neat coin.

None of any of these coins are toned....last i looked.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This one looks like it has a matte-finish comared to the others. Neat coin. >>

P mint or D mint?

Russ, NCNE
    P I think. I know we disscussed it before. Maybe it could be a rare matte-proof actually.
    I,d have to dig it up and look for something on it. For what and where is the question though.

Would the reeds shed light on the matter?
    Proof edges?
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    I've opened some of the earlier rols from 64-69. I've found that the later the date, the better the coins in the rolls. The MS 66 singles I got from my local dealer, in someone's old collection. When submitted, they made MS 66. BUT, if I submitted the coins from the rolls, maybe only 1 would grade as a 65. I recently bought a roll or 40, YES, 40 Kennedys at my local bank. The roll was from California and dated 25 Mar 1965. There is very ltiile end roll toning. I paid face value plus a "tip" to the teller equal to face. I'll never open the roll. Likewise if I were to get anymore rolls, I'd keep them for the silver value. By the way, the cost was about $3 or less for each of my MS 66 plus slabbbing. There are a lot of small local dealers that don't acre about PCGS slabbed coins unless they get them cheap. You can get some real;ly nice coins from them and submit them yourself if you know what you're lookingh at. There are MANY rolls on E-bay must most are opened and in plastic. In addition, I've also seen MANY rolls that people have re-rolled with NEW bank wrappers or had their local bank re-wrap them for them and they are now sold on E-bay, etc. Got to watch out for those! Good luck and let us know what you do. How about your inputs, Mark, Mitch, etc. What are your experiences with rolls vs mint sets? Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file