Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Collecting Sets

while i rarely collect newer cards anymore, i have started to buy a few complete sets on ebay. mainly hockey sets from the mid 90's and a few recent sets such as Heritage and Stadium Club (or any set with good photography or design). i care nothing about book value, but if you want to take that in to consideration i paid anywhere between 10%-15% of current BV. many sets that book at $25 can be picked up for as little as $3-$5. for 100 card sets, thats an average of 3 to 5 cents a card.

i know that base set cards arent considered desirable since they arent individually numbered or game used, but seriously people. what makes those high dollar inserts so valuable? is it because the design (which many times mirrors base set design, plus a foil stamp)? the fact that theyre individually numbered and rare? or is it because of the fact that Dr. Beckett tells you that inserts are are the only cards worth chasing?

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I'm with ya. I've picked up a few $20-$25 football sets for less than $5. How can you go wrong?

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GR
    I think the 'chase card' killed the set builders - I'm optimistic - I'm hoping that they make a comeback - sometimes I like the chase cards because you can trade them for fills to complete the set. But, except for a few here like me, we may be in a newly growing minority. Some subsets, if you have a realistic chance of completing, are fun to complete also.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    thanks to 98 SP authentic and manning and moss rookies numbered to 1998....there was a resurgence in the hobby.....but at the same time a decline in the enthusiam to build a COMPLETE SET. At 100 a box for some things and only 5 rookies out of 75 in a box...how would it be possible to build one???? With a decline in the total number of boxes by a rookie card cap....how did the companies make up for such a decrease in product... 1- increase the price tag to 3 bucks a shot......2- increase the number of sets. I collected 1999 fleer, ultra, mystique, focus, showcase and sp authentic before i came to realize i had fallen into there trap.

I think bought a 1955 ted williams and feel in love with the mystique of the vintage baseball cards. That was 2001. Im now 5 cards away from a psa 6-7 1956 set and own many other nice vintage cards. I enjoy my non-numbered vintage cards alot more nowadays. I love how there is just one card of a person for one year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the mana-tony has ended!!

Loth
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    haha..its funny to read my typing errors....sorry
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan
    I hear ya - even the base brand sets are hard to complete unless you have a network of friends to help or purchase bulk on ebay - I have bought tons of 1$ packs of Topps series I and will be chasing a handful of commons half way across the country! It is a challenge and fun. You know I have a pretty large vintage collection but have never finished a set - 66T laying dormant and incomplete - I think that's what made the 55T set so attractive - smaller set size BUT kind of pricey to complete in 6-7 PSA.
    I'm kinda starting a 57T BB and a 61F BkB but at the rate I'm going - I'll talk to ya in about 10 yrs.!
    Mike
    Mike