Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are there any base sets from the 1990s that have held their value?

I know that some Arod and Jeter cards have done well, but I am not sure about entire sets. Are other singles from 1994 SP and 1993 SP strong sellers?

1990 Leaf or 1992 Bowman? I notice that the 1990 leaf set, despite a Sosa RC, as well as cards from 1992 bowman are pretty cheap these days. 1999 Bowman Chrome?

In basketball, I seem to remember 1996 Chrome and 1998 SP Authentic selling for more a few years ago than they do today.

Are there any sets that are as valuable as they were five years ago?

Comments

• Options
    i doubt it. as new stuff is made, older stuff is forgotten (or less interesting). i kinda like it though, as i have been able to buy and make sets of cards that i never could afford when i was a kid. 91 stadium club, 92 ultra, 93 pinnacle and so on. its fun for me atleast. i think early and middle 90 sets are pretty much done as all the players from these sets have already retired, reached their prime, etc (with the exception of arod, jeter, and a select few). other than these select few, nothing really draws people to them anymore, plus cases beyond cases can still be found a dime a dozen.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    these sets still sell for a premium

99-2003 boman chrome baseball especially the refrators etc
    99 Ultimate Victory
    2001-2003 Prospect Premeire
    2002 Donruss Elite
    01-04 Heritage

Thats just off the top of my head, probably many more.

Kevin
  • Options
    koby- I think you have to take it one step further. Many of the later 90's sets had #'d rookies and shortprints as part of the set. So comparing sets without shortprints to those with shortprints is like apples and oranges. Bottom line is putting these sets together is very difficult and expensive. Look on Ebay and you rarely see the complete set available. You'll always see the base set for sale cheap, but shortprints, autograph cards and patch RC's that are part of the regular set are a chore.
    As a side note, I think these Ultra and Stadium Club sets from the early 90's are very undervalued. Because of the UV coating the cards stick together. When you separate them, many times the back of one card will stick to the front of the other and leave bits of color and foil on the face of the card. If you put the cards in a cardsaver you better use a penny sleeve, otherwise the same thing happens.
    I think the photography on these cards are exceptional and worthy of grading for preservation.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    What about 1993 Topps Finest?
    Police: Are you classified as human?

Korben Dallas: Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
  • Options
    nojo- I'm sorry but I don't collect Finest so I can't give a first hand account of the product. I have heard from other collectors about problems with peeling, but I'm not sure what it refers too.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I remember walking around shows in the mid-1990s when Finest cards were by far the most expensive cards. Packs went for $50+ and bigger stars like Ripken and Ryan also sold for $50+. Remember these were the base cards and not the refractors. Today, the entire set can be found on ebay for less than that.

Joestalin or anyone:

If you were to choose some base sets from the 90s, what would they be?