Home Q & A Forum

What's the most valuable coin collection in private hands that you are aware of?

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
What's in it?

And would Virgil Brand's be the all-time most valuable?

Seth
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Hi Seth,

I am not sure of who has the most valuable US coin collection. After John Ford's collection gets sold, then I believe the last "old time" big collection to remain is Eric Newman's. Wild guess would be a value well north of $50,000,000. But I don't know all of the old timers. Harvey Stack or Dave Bowers would probably know where the other big ones are, if there are any.

For the relative newcomers, I know quite a few people that have collections in the $10,000,000 to $30,000,000 range. There is one collection in Dallas that I have seen that may be closer to $50,000,000 than $30,000,000. And there's one guy back East that specializes in St. Gaudens coinage...he has several (!) Ultra High Reliefs and Judd 1776...who is probably well north of $30,000,000.

I guess that means to blow everyone away all you would have to do is spend $100,000,000 or so. Wouldn't that be fun!?!?!?!?

Most valuable collection of all-time. I believe the Eliasberg collection, if auctioned today, would bring $100,000,000 or so...especially if you included his fabulous World coins...which have yet to be sold!

David