Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about grading for Topps Chrome Refractors

I'm putting together the 1996 Topps Chrome Refractor Basketball set. I've been able to amass some commons from that set for grading. The corners look sharp, the centering looks better than 60-40, surface - I'm not too sure. The only thing I've noticed on the majority of the cards is that there are refractor lines. Will this potentially diminish the potential for a grade of Mint - 9 from PSA? Is a gem mint 10 grade even possible under these conditions? Thanks in advance.
I collect Topps Chrome Basketball Rookie Refractors, particularly from 96-97, and limited edition rookies of Taiwanese baseball players.

Comments

• Options
    Definitely for BGS, but I am not so sure that PSA pays that much attention to the surface. If the centering is 50/50, and the corners are sharp I would guess that you could count on a 9 from any grading outfit. PSA more likely than BGS for a 9 on these type cards. I have seen plenty of PSA 9 refractors with these annoying lines. They are almost the equivelant of print spots on cards produced through the mid to late 80's. Not much you could do with these.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I don't know a whole lot about refractors but I did get my first ever PSA 10 with the card below. My wife urged me to submit it last year. Not sure if these helps with your question.

Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I agree with what Roach said...I have sent in a few refractors with visible lines, and still gotten back 9's on most of them, as long as they were centered and had sharp corners with no peeling anywhere on the card. I don't have a 10 refractor, but I sent in a beautiful MJ Topps Chrome refractor which should have been a 10 all day long, and it still got a 9. I wish you luck on that 96 set, it is one of the best basketball sets of the 90's (the Kobe refractor will set you back a bit).
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    If you are patient the Kobe refractor may be cheaper in a few months.

• Options
    Last year (2002 or 2003?), there was AZ eBay seller who had (10,000+) 1996-97 Topps Chrome basketball refractors. The 96-97 Topps Chrome Refs were pretty cheap (i.e. 110 refs for $50.00).
    I purchased about 200+ refs from this AZ seller. The Refs appear to be cut from a Refractor sheet (BACK DOOR). Perfectly centered, but tremendous amount of surface scratches.
    Regarding PSA grading of refractors, there are PSA9s & PSA10s with refractor lines - that I've seen.
    BTW, 1996-97 Topps Chrome Basketball Refractors are not RARE!!
    Good luck with the Refs set.
    Does the body rule the mind?
    or does the mind rule the body?
    I dunno...