Home U.S. Coin Forum

Well lookie what I found in pocket change.. PICS

Just came back from buying some smokes and found this little beauty among the change she gave back. I asked if she had more but see looked at me like I was nuts so I left.. this is one of the best finds soo far, though I am still a Noobbiieee!!!

My server is down so I am using Cardomain to host pics until I am back up and running...

Comments

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did you do with the .....smoke?

• nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

<< <i>What did you do with the .....smoke?

image >>

Cough...

Jeez, my thread must really suck huh, no one else like what I found? image Fuggetaboutit
  • I like your coin! Here's something to think about though! I used to smoke. I don't care if you do or don't! But, I quit last Sept. 6th cold turkey from a 3+++ pack a day habit. I now have an extra $80 a week to sink into this hobby. By the way, thats some nice color on that coin also!....Ken
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    AT
  • Wow 3 packs is alot. I did that 20 years ago in the Navy. We were working alot of 20 hour daze and I needed a lit cigarette to stay awake. Is that a dropped digit? The toning is nice.
  • Is that a dropped digit? ...I haven't heard this term before. What is it????
  • I believe it is when a coin is struck and a letter or digit (raised on coin, incuse on die) is raised off the struck planchet and dropped on the next planchet before it is struck. It leaves a strong raised image and can be anywhare on the surface.
    The second 1 in 1991 looks like it could of been picked up and dropped backward.
  • joeyuk,
    thanks. And, I believe you're right!.....Ken

<< <i>AT >>

Help a noobie out, what about the coin seems AT? I'm still learning so any help would umm, help.image
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    With all those spots, especially in front of George's nose, I'd spend that sucker!
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Look George is playing a `stupid human trick` Balancing a nickel planchet on his nose.

• clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    What is significant about the quarter?
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    the toning i guess, i dont see any dropped filling. just toning and splotching.
  • nice coloring on the reverse. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>AT >>

Help a noobie out, what about the coin seems AT? I'm still learning so any help would umm, help.image >>

I've never seen a normal/untampered clad coin that looks like that. It just looks to me more like coins I have seen after exposure to chemicals and/or heat, though not necessarily intentionally, eg., going through a washing machine cycle. Who knows.
  • Nice....
    JoeCool

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>AT >>

Help a noobie out, what about the coin seems AT? I'm still learning so any help would umm, help.image >>

I've never seen a normal/untampered clad coin that looks like that. It just looks to me more like coins I have seen after exposure to chemicals and/or heat, though not necessarily intentionally, eg., going through a washing machine cycle. Who knows. >>

Gotcha...Thanks! AT or NT, she is a keeper .image
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    A dropped digit or letter occurs when the letter of digit on the die becomes filled (creating "filled die" coins) and the the compacted grease/gunk falls out of the die, lands on an incoming planchet, and is then struck into the coin. The letter that dropped out of the die is now incused into the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file