Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinion...Best times to start/end an Ebay listing?

I read a few comments that the time or day a listing ends can negatively impact the final auction value. Assuming a 7 day listing, what would be the best day and time to start the listing if you are a seller? Thanks.
"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...

Comments

• Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    monday's @ 7 pm when no MNF.
    tuesday nights are usually no where to go but ebay for me.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Statistically from a ISP's perspective, Sunday-Wednesday evenings are when the most people are online.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Sunday seems like Ebay's busiest evening, but there is something to be said for being on when everyone else is not.
  • Options
    Hi DirtyHarry,

I usually list on Sunday and Tuesday nights with the auctions starting at 7:15PM - 7:45PM PST so that the west coast is at least past the dinner cycle and the east coast hasn't gone to bed yet.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserID : sjeanblanc

------------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-93) in PSA 9 or better

• Options
    I like Sundays at around 10:00 pm. It gives the people on the west coast time to finish supper yet it's not too late for the east coast people. (Friday night and Saturday nights are absolute no-no's)
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    This might interest some sellers here. Ebay is having a 50 cent listing day today. It's a good deal for high $$ items.
  • Options
    Great post. I was ready to list a number of items at around 2:30 a.m. PST, then realized that the end time would be the same and I would miss those last minute buyers especially on the East Coast. Also, don't end it when people are getting to or settling into work, e.g., between 6-10:30 a.m. For many, Ebay is more of an "at work" thing, as weeknights and weekends are family time (see the many posts on the subject of "What my wife/girlfriend thinks of my hobby...")

Here's a related question: Any added value in listing for ten days versus seven for an extra $.20?
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a related question: Any added value in listing for ten days versus seven for an extra $.20? >>

I think there may be value in the 10 day auction if the item is high dollar, rare, or unusual. For me, my E-Bay searches are pretty specific, but every so often I'll browse other categories to see if anything catches my eye. So a longer auction may increase the hits from the casual browsers. Also, I would try to list on a Thursday or Friday, so your auction will cover two weekends.

Just my thoughts.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    >>Here's a related question: Any added value in listing for ten days versus seven for an extra $.20?<<

Personally, I don't like 10 day auctions - either as a bidder or a seller. Seven days is just right.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    I've sold hundreds of items on ebay and it seems that a Sunday close around 6 p.m. Pacific works the best. That's 9 on the east coast so its not too late for them. The bottom line is, though, if you have something that is hot it can close at 3pm and it will still get a lot of action. There is allot of esnipe activity out there.
    Mike Miller
    Yankee Collector 1958-60
    Retired complete 1960 Topps set
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. After digesting the responses-----and especially the link from Joker73 (Thanks, Robert)....appears to me that the best time to list/end a 7 day auction is 7:30 PST on Sunday.

And PlayBall's point to list a 10 day on Thurs-Fri in order to catch 2 weekends makes a lot of sense.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...