Home U.S. Coin Forum

anyone know wy some people cover up the serial #

on the slab. i have been noticing this on some auctions lately and am leary of bidding because i really dont think i will get the actual coin pictured.am i being too paranoid?

john

Comments

• Some people I guess report them stolen..... they get your #, insurance checks out.... they get paid....
  • Especially, in hi grade moderns, the numbers are lifted and applied to their own sets in the registries.
  • And you can find out every coin on a submission by searching the coin cert #'s above and below it.
    My website: WWW.telecoin.bizland.com
  • Glad to know this. Was wondering the same thing myself.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Especially, in hi grade moderns, the numbers are lifted and applied to their own sets in the registries. >>

This is the main reason.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I block the numbers on my low pop coin auctions just for that reason- so nobody steals the number to claim it in their registry set.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    That would have to be lowest of the low registry abuse out there. Stealing the number of a coin you don't own.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently it used to happen quite often. I don't know about recently.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    It happened to me on one of my better CC Morgans. Took two weeks to be able to put it in my set. Someone lifted the number off Heritage's site.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread makes me want to puke.

Is THIS what we have descended to? Lordy.

STEALING for a VIRTUAL coin collection!

Gad!

• USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many of the registry sets would you guestimate contain virtual coins such as this?
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    They should have a non-existant category for the registries. then you could brag about having the finest non-existant virtual coin collection out there.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
    No way to tell how many have done this, but I do know it has at times been a big problem with some of the modern sets.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A covered serial number is a red flag. It means "avoid this auction!!!!!" It may be a seller who intends to ship a coin other than the one pictured. It may also be a scammer who has "lifted" a photo from someone else's auction. In today's scammer-filled on-line auction world red flags should never be ignored. Legit sellers don't play games.
    All glory is fleeting.
    Can anyone tell me what the point of the registry set fraud mentioned in the post is? I am not into the registry set bit and would like to know why someone would claim coins that they don't own. Is there a financial gain in this or is it just people with extreme ego problems?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A covered serial number is a red flag. It means "avoid this auction!!!!!" It may be a seller who intends to ship a coin other than the one pictured. It may also be a scammer who has "lifted" a photo from someone else's auction. In today's scammer-filled on-line auction world red flags should never be ignored. Legit sellers don't play games. >>

Did you even read the other posts before posting that? There are plenty of very honest sellers who cover the serial number for the very legitimate reason already posted.

Russ, NCNE
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A covered serial number is a red flag. It means "avoid this auction!!!!!" It may be a seller who intends to ship a coin other than the one pictured. It may also be a scammer who has "lifted" a photo from someone else's auction. In today's scammer-filled on-line auction world red flags should never be ignored. Legit sellers don't play games. >>

Did you even read the other posts before posting that? There are plenty of very honest sellers who cover the serial number for the very legitimate reason already posted.

Russ, NCNE >>

I kinda seem to agree with his comment. Could you not argue the same point by saying, "There are plenty of very dishonest sellers who cover the serial number for the very illegitimate reasons already posted."

I think his comment was based more on experience and what he has seen rather then the few posts in this thread!?!

Just my $.02
    Russ, perhaps he will have a different point of view once he buys a coin, gets it, and can't list it in his set because someone lifted the certification number.

<< <i>There are plenty of very dishonest sellers who cover the serial number for the very illegitimate reasons already posted. >>

Are there? I don't ever remember seeing an auction that pictured the entire slab with the serial number covered on a low pop coin that wasn't legitimate. Show me one.

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>

<< <i>There are plenty of very dishonest sellers who cover the serial number for the very illegitimate reasons already posted. >>

Are there? I don't ever remember seeing an auction that pictured the entire slab with the serial number covered on a low pop coin that wasn't legitimate. Show me one.

Russ, NCNE >>

Sorry Russ, didn't mean to get you upset, just making conversation. My reply was more of a question then it was a comment. As you see, I am still new and I chime in to learn about things like this. I am off to cry in the corner...image I did see a few auctions with a covered serial and my first instict was to stay away.

<< <i>Sorry Russ, didn't mean to get you upset >>

That's not upset, that's discussion. Want to see upset? Wait until my next submission results post. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Since PCGS gives away free grading if you are in the top X number of sets or have completed X% of the set, there exists a real financial motive to registering coins that a person does not own.

This isn't as large of a problem as it could be. Imagine buying cert. numbers from someone who has cracked the coin and is looking to upgrade or cross the coin. How many people have coins in their registries where the slab has been cracked, either to put in a Dansco or has been sent in for regrade?

<< <i>

<< <i>Sorry Russ, didn't mean to get you upset >>

That's not upset, that's discussion. Want to see upset? Wait until my next submission results post. image

Russ, NCNE >>

I will stay clear of that post then, let the profanities fly my friend...image
  • NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    I've tried to enter a few coins in the registry only to be told I don't own the coin. image A quick scan sent to BJ takes care of that. image
  • It would be nice to be able to check your cert. numbers to see if anyone else has them listed.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quick scan sent to BJ takes care of that.

What does BJ do to the person caught with someone else's serial #?

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

<< <i>

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

I kinda seem to agree with his comment. Could you not argue the same point by saying, "There are plenty of very dishonest sellers who cover the serial number for the very illegitimate reasons already posted."

I think his comment was based more on experience and what he has seen rather then the few posts in this thread!?!

Just my $.02 >>

Actually, I hadn't read the other posts. A covered serial number, for me, is an automatic "avoid". The registry set bit just amazes me in the way it appeals to many collectors egos. The problem of the covered serial number exists in more areas than coins. I have seen camera equipment offered as well. I didn't bid on it because it smelled like trouble.
    All glory is fleeting.

<< <i>Russ, perhaps he will have a different point of view once he buys a coin, gets it, and can't list it in his set because someone lifted the certification number. >>

This won't be a problem because I think the whole registry set idea is stupid.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • While a scan of the coin sent to PCGS will quickly show proof of ownership for the coin if you are denied adding it to the registry because someone else already has it listed, we all know that most PCGS graded coins are not listed in the registry. With less than 10,000 total sets and 9 million coins graded, most coins are not listed. Therefore, the odds are in someone's favor to steal a cert number and list it.

Many high grade collectors choose not to partake in the registry, so they would never know.

<< <i>This won't be a problem because I think the whole registry set idea is stupid. >>

That's your opinion.

My Morgan set will never be in the top ten (unless I hit the lotto jackpot). A lot of people overlook the fact that it is an excellent means to document your collection. If somehow your coins are stolen, you have an easy means of printing out a list with the certification numbers to furnish to the police and your insurance company.
  • Don't some people save pics in their computer of coins that have passed thru their hands. And also how many of the 9 million are high end enough for someone to want to use the number?
  • The certs don't have to be high grade to be worth stealing.

<< <i>Free Grading. We recognize that not every coin in every important collection has been graded by PCGS. In order to encourage participation in the PCGS Set Registry program we are offering the following free grading benefits for sets that reach 90% completion:

If the set composition is 1-9 coins you are entitled to 1 free grading.
    If the set composition is 10-24 coins you are entitled to 2 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 25-49 coins you are entitled to 3 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 50-99 coins you are entitled to 4 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 100+ coins you are entitled to 5 free gradings.
    >>

Also, if you look, most sets are not complete, so having any coin, even if low grade, will move you up the registry standings. Not everyone needs to be number 1, some just want to be in top ten.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Some sellers do it because they use stock photos (The coin you buy will be the same quality as the one shown)

I do it when selling "Registry Quality" coins because I've had 3 people take the cert numbers off eBay and register it in their set.

When the new owner tries to register their coin and it says they can't, they email me and complain. Then I have to contact BJ and she yells at the people who do this. (They say they just wanted to see what their ranking would be if they had a coin in that grade, but then "forgot" to delete it).

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
    edsondl,

Thanks for the reminder. I have a couple free gradings coming. image

Russ, NCNE
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm just an enormous simpleton, but I simply don't want to buy a reistry set quality coin, and then to have to scrape the glue residue off of a nice gem's holder.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver

• << <i>Should you attempt to list a coin and you receive an error message telling you that the coin is currently owned by another registrant, please contact setregistry@collectors.com. Registrants are urged to delete their sets (or coins) from the registry soon after sets or coins are sold in order to release the certification numbers for other registrants who may have purchased the items and wish to register them. >>

J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file