Home U.S. Coin Forum

My only slabbed toned Morgan - guess the grade if you like, just look, or comment

I don't really collect the series, although I admit I must have at least 15 or 20 Morgans, but just a few slabbed. What does everyone think of this one?

It's not a real stunner or anything like you can find at a flea market, but it's a decent looker with tone both sides, with the reverse obviously being more the stand-out.

I'd love to collect more toners, and even if they are overrated, I think they're cool. That overratedness carries over to an inflated price tag that I can't afford.

David

Comments

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    63/64. Hard to tell with those images.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    It look very nice to me! MS64. mike image
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice MS-63 with pretty colored toning.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • let's go with au23 for kazac's prozac/paxcil inherent nerve of contention....heh heh..mr morgan..heh
  • 63 ~ very eye appealing to me

• << <i>let's go with au23 for kazac's prozac/paxcil inherent nerve of contention....heh heh..mr morgan..heh >>

On second thought....image
    David
  • MS63, shot MS64
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    David,

I see why you liked it. I do too. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Thanks everyone. I guess Morgans in the MS63 range are pretty easy to grade, but I'm not dismissing the possiblity that all those here are just good at grading Morgans. I start getting a lot more iffy on Morgans between 4 and 5 and 6, and really am just guessing higher than 65.

This is an NGC 63, probably accurately graded, but as Eric said, the pics could be a little clearer. Hard to catch the toning, focus, glare, etc. and I'm still pretty new at imaging my coins. I guess it could possibly get a bump to 64 from the toning on the right day, but the breast feathers are a little soft, which probably limits its fair grade to a 63.

BTW, I sniped this off the bondman about a year to a year and half ago, and paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 or $65. Not bad, I thought, although his image was totally inaccurate. I figured if most of the colors were there, it was not a bad buy. I like it, and it really does look just like the images I took.
    David
  • David,

I think your pics are pretty good. It takes awhile to get the right setup between camera and lighting to take nice pics...I am not there yet. I judged your coin to be a 63 with a shot at 64, before reading the other's comments. I really like the reverse...it looks stunning to me.image

Gary
    Gary

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file