Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which pre-1998 autograph cards are potentially fake?

[Edited to ask the more straightforward question, setting aside PSA's policy - my initial post is below the line]

If I wanted to collect pre-1998 football autographed cards, which sets/manufacturers should I stay away from? Which ones (Topps? UD?) should I trust the most? Thanks for any help ...

Robert

PSA will only grade autographed cards from the major manufacturers from 1998 on, while those prior to '98 need PSA/DNA authentication. My general question is why is 1998 the cutpoint? I know there are sets in the pre-'98 days where issues exist ('97 Legends ghost signers, autopen issues with some early Aikman autos, etc.). But given many of these issues are known, and that odds are the vast majority of pre-'98 autos (from the major companies) are legit, why have a blanket policy? Should I really be that weary of autos from 1997 and earlier?

The reason I'm asking is that I like collecting smaller auto insert sets, especially those loaded with HOFers. I've been eyeing some '96 and '97 football autographs, but before plunging in wanted to learn more about the history of autos. Any help would be appreciated, especially if anyone knows of websites out there that already have this info documented ... thanks!

Robert

Comments

• Options
    i myself have wondered why the 98 cutoff? what about reggie in 90 upper deck? how about 96 leaf signature and 97 donruss signature? plus all the fleer ultra certified autos. does anyone know how they handle these? they are factory certified, why would psa/dna need to verify them first?
  • Options
    Anyone have any info? Thanks in advance ...

Robert
  • Options
    I know for skybox autographics buckets, they actually sent a flunky to video tape the actual signings. This was 97-98 year i believe, not sure if they still do this.. I know that some proline football auto's were actually auto penned, aikman and kelly are known. I believe there also was a huge difference in some E Wilson donruss signature auto's from 98, beckett did something on it back then...............
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    There was also the "Roy Ro(d)gers" Signature rookies autographed card. Most of those cards are of dubious authenticity. "Industry sources" have indicated that some of the Signature Rookies Joe DiMaggio Autographs are suspect as well.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    I think there was some suspicion on 97 ud legends football. I think the questionable cards were Mike Webster and Russ Francis. Various stories on these, but rumor was the cards got sent to said player, with certification on back, but they didn't sign them and gave them away to friends, kids ect. Then the person who got the card signed his name, and with the certification on the back you think it's real deal holyfield...I also remember Otis Nixon(not 100% sure it was him) but somebody stole his leaf signature certified unsigned cards from his car...........
  • Options
    FuturemanFutureman Posts: 135 ✭✭
    To my knowledge of the 97 Legends set the Webster cards were never released in packs. It is believed that Webster himself did sign the cards, and then distributed them to friends, family, et al. There were a couple of players that, like Webster, did not return their cards signed to Upper Deck. They included Willie Wood, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, Sid Luckman, (some I might be forgetting) and Russ Francis. There is at least one Russ Francis in existence, and it is owned by a poster on the board. (I'll let him speak up for himself if he wants. There is a previous thread on the topic.)

The only suspicious cards that I know of from the '97 Legends set is the Donnie Shell card. There are clearly two different versions; one signed by Donnie himself, and the other signed by Mrs. Shell. The authentic cards signed by MR. Shell have a more triangluar "D" in "Donnie." The cards signed by his wife have a more rounded "D" and appear to be more "loopy" to me.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
  • Options
    Futureman Great insight on 97 Legends auto info. I wasn't exactly sure what deal was on said cards. Any idea what Webster cards have brought on ebay and how many got signed by him, just an estimate.. ...
  • Options
    Can't find Russ Francis thread, would love to hear the scoop on this card. Can anyone post cliff note version of the story. Did it come out of a pack, redemption. Any pictures posted, must be the holy grail of 97 legends auto set.............