Home U.S. Coin Forum

Toned Morgan Market-What Is The Trend?

What's the pulse of the Toned Morgan Market in these individual areas?

Crescents?

MonoChromes?

Target?

Bag or Fabric Toning?

End Rolls?

Toned GSA's?

Redfields?

How about Bag Toning on a GSA?
Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins

Comments

• yes!
  • You forgot plaid, damnit!
    Why does everyone always leave that one out?

Edited to add: Now, find me one of these, and we're on to something!
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Crescents?

MonoChromes?

Target?

Bag or Fabric Toning?

End Rolls?

Toned GSA's?

Redfields?

How about Bag Toning on a GSA? >>

In my humble opinion?

Overrated. Overrated. Overrated. Overrated. Overrated. Overrated. Overrated. Overrated. image

Oh, and to please Prometheus, I would say the market in plaid-toned Morgan dollars is significantly UNDERrated. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Everything is red hot right now. Don't know how long it will last, but right now as long as a coin isn't overpriced for it's color, it goes quickly. I have sold three times as many toned Morgans as I have posted, simply by being asked what else I had for sale. The market hasn't been like this since 89.
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    I cashed in on my white Morgans from the Redfield hoard, even though these now carry an even larger premium for the holder.

Might there be a market for Redfield holdered dollars with peach-juice stains?
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    MonoChromes

Yes especially with attractive luster underneathimage

YCCTidewater.com
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little target tone is always nice.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    very nice....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    YCCTidewater.com
  • gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    - Crescents: underrated and underpriced

- monochromes: overrated except with semi-pl surfaces or better. Inexpensive

- Target: usually overrated, but some are nice. Reasonable price.

- Bag: for MS64 and below, overrated and way overpriced. For MS65, very desirable and scarce. Be wary of bump from MS64 due to color. MS66 -- rare, extemely desirable, expensive, yet still has good potential. MS67 -- impossible, recall seeing only a few for sale in person in 7 years, none in PCGS holder. Recently offered an NGC for around $4000.

- End Roll: Usually overrated and overpriced. I find one in ten are pretty -- but, when they are pretty, don't pass.

- Toned GSA's. Many come toned but dull. Way overpriced unless the luster is there. Colors are usually earthtones, subdued.

- Redfields: Ugh.

- Bag toned Gsa's: Very rare, desirable, expensive. Consider only if colors are vibrant.

- Textile: Interesting but way overpriced for a few dots. Go for the color and luster, and if there is some textile don't pay much premuim for that feature.

- Reverse toned (any style): Not my cup of tea. But, desirable nevertheless and much easier to locate, because the obverse toned pieces are held in very strong hands. Big variation in prices, so a little searching can go a long way.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You forgot plaid, damnit! >>

Send a PM to Jason, maybe he will store one for you under his kilt!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my latest "Target Toned" Morgan Favorite... image

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Gemtone, talk about a great summation of the market on that stuff, as well as a little schooling on the subject. Fantastic comments, and THANK YOU very much.

Everyone out there paying attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
    BigD5; thanks so much for your gracious comments.

After I sent my original reply, I was sorry I didn't add a few comments about bag toned coins graded above MS67. Of course, there really isn't much to say, as such coins are so rare. In MS68, I've seen less than a handful in my lifetime. GSAGuy has one -- I think it's one of the few he hasn't cracked out and put in those attractive individualized white plastic holders. That coin is, I believe, Anaconda's favorite toned Morgan dollar. I also have one, and I recall about 15 years ago Julian Leidman had one for sale at close to $10,000. (I'll refrain from saying any of these coins are "great" or some such thing, for what else would you expect a bag toned MS68 to look like?)

Of course, for MS69, there are only a handful graded in total, and I doubt any are toned let alone rainbow toned. I did see the MS69 Jack Lee white coin, and while it was indeed lovely, I have to say that my impression of it was that it's would be highly problematic whether this coin would be considered MS69 if the owner had been almost anyone else.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Gemtones-65, Very helpful and concise report on this part of the coin market.

Thank you for taking the time to make your comments. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    gemtone

I know you don't like reverse toners but here is a 1879 s in PCGS ms68. Colors are much nicer in person

• gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    <<How about Bag Toning on a GSA?>>

To the best of my knowledge, ALL GSA's are bag toned.

Gemtone65, don't underestimate the best-toned Redfields. I love 'em!

As for end rollers, I think they're the hardest to find, especially with vibrant colors and sharp lines.

GSAGUY
  • I think the Peace $ market is starting to come down from what I've seen..... but nice toned examples are very hard to come by...
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    It would be great if the prices on awesome toned dollars would come down - we who like them would be glad to buy more at lower prices.

I agree with Gemtone65 comments for the most part. I happen to like end rolled coins but he is right, most of them are none too spectacular. The really good ones have some cool colors but nothing in the same quantity as say, bag toned, for example.

GSAguy's 68 is my favorite coin. I imaged it when he and TBT were at my house and then i extracted a portion of it, rotated it and placed it between the terms of my paragraphs in my listings. Knowing humans as i know them, as long as i want it, he will not want me to sell it so i am making friends with his wife and encouraging him him to take up scuba diving and the keeping of venomous snakes.

My favorite toned Morgans are coins with the most vibrant colors in the turquoise range. I have a small handful. They are rare. I don't usually list them.

With regard to the value of toned dollars, only experience can help you. If you look at enough of them you can get the feel and those of us who have them sift through our hands (and isn't that really all that happens?) know what they are worth within 10% or so.

adrian
    JB: It's not quite accurate to say I don't like reverse toned Morgans. It's just that I much prefer the obverse ones, and have chosen that category to focus my collecting interests on. That said, your MS68 reverse toned Morgan is indeed very nice, although we may disagree on what such a piece is actually worth relative to obverse toned pieces with toning like that coin has on the reverse.

GSAGuy: I probably haven't really seen or even looked for enough Redfield pieces to appreciate that there are some nice ones out there.
    Further, I'm not quite sure what you meant, or whether you were joking, when you said all GSA's are bag toned. Could you elaborate?
    Yes, after I posted that comment, I realized that it could be misconstrued.

The point I wanted to get across is that, to my knowledge, all toned GSA Morgans, are bag toned. In other words, none were toned in albums, envelopes, or paper rolls and then placed in GSA holders.

If that's not what elwood meant, then nevermind.image

GSAGUY

Edited to add: elwood, if when you say 'bag toning' you actually mean 'textile pattern' then that's a different story. GSA's exhibiting bold textile patterns are tough to find and worth a premium in my opinion, especially if the colors are otherwise attractive.
  • elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>If that's not what elwood meant, then nevermind. >>

Thank-You all for the inputimage (especially gemtone65)

When I mentioned bag toning on GSA's, I meant with a fabric pattern. Are these hard to find?

Thanks, Steve
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
    <<Elwood, if when you say 'bag toning' you actually mean 'textile pattern' then that's a different story. GSA's exhibiting bold textile patterns are tough to find and worth a premium in my opinion, especially if the colors are otherwise attractive.>>

Fabric pattern is an acceptable description although I've found that textile pattern is more often used to describe evidence of the bag's woven fabric on the coin's surface.

GSAGUY

Thanks GSAGuy, I see what you mean now. If the GSA coin is toned, you can be sure it was from a mint bag.

I must say for point of clarification that in my comments on "bag toning," I used that term interchangeably with rainbow toning, not textile pattern toning. One could have both effects, but the predominant appearance would typically be the rainbow colors, and the textile pattern secondary, at least for a casual observer. I realize that for some of you textile fanatics, that order of importance might be reversed.
  • elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    gsaguy

That's what I was trying to say- Textile pattern-Thanks for the clarification.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file