Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rude?

Does this seem a little rude to ya'll? ebay

<<
Here is what you do not get:
You do not get to return a silver eagle for a minor flaw, what you get is what the mint sends to us.
You do not get to return any roll of Silver Eagles, what you get is what the mint sends to us.
You do not get to return any box of Silver Eagles, what you get is what the mint sends to us.
You do not get to email us to see if yours have been shipped until they are 10 days overdue.
You do not get an email from us telling you that we have received your money or that we have shipped your silver eagles. Sorry, but we prefer to use all of our available time to pack and ship, not trade casual status emails back and forth.
You do not get to add to, subtract from or alter your order in any way.
>>

"You do not get to email us...until they are 10 days overdue"--and you are the email police or what? If a customer spends $200, don't they have the right to email the seller whenever they like?
I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Shipping & Handling charge that you will pay will be determined by your auction contract and will bear no relation to the value of the postage affixed to your shipment. WE OFTEN MAKE MONEY ON SHIPPING! >>

I like this part better.
  • yes, but you do have the right to received heavily milk spotted PCGS or NGC MS69 Silver Eagles even though the auctions show PQ examples in stock photos image
  • << The Shipping & Handling charge that you will pay will be determined by your auction contract and will bear no relation to the value of the postage affixed to your shipment. WE OFTEN MAKE MONEY ON SHIPPING! >>

^ I love that part too. Especially the " WE OFTEN MAKE MONEY ON SHIPPING! " part.

Here's what they don't get:

They don't get to rape me on shipping charges, especially if I were to buy $200 plus in goods.
    They don't get to dictate my rights of inquiry as to where the hell my goods are on slow shipping (how do I know they're not shipping book rate?)
    They don't get my business.

Pretty cut-n-dry, eh?

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    "You do not get to email us...until they are 10 days overdue"--and you are the email police or what? If a customer spends $200, don't they have the right to email the seller whenever they like? >>

No you don't have the "right". He's disclosing the deal. You either accept it or not.

Welcome to the wonderful internet world.

TP
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I emailed them and told them I wasn't bidding. But I know that will do no good since they don't trade casual emailsimage
  • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    I had seen that a few weeks ago. Pretty funny stuff.

<< <i>No you don't have the "right". He's disclosing the deal. You either accept it or not. >>

Absolutely. He makes it very clear how he chooses to do business. Anyone that disapproves should be wise enough to decline to bid. Those that do bid should abide by that seller's rules.

• << <i>No you don't have the "right". He's disclosing the deal. You either accept it or not. >>

Until a cop drops by my house and restrains my hand from clicking the "Ask seller a question" link, if I have a concern over my order, I'm certainly going to email them, stupid disclaimers or not image

<< <i>They don't get to dictate my rights of inquiry as to where the hell my goods are on slow shipping (how do I know they're not shipping book rate?) >>

Bingo. A person certainly has the right to determine that they don't want to receive junk or unsolicited emails, but when you do business with someone, I should think the buyer has the right to inquire, if they so desire. Just my opinion though--the auction is good for a nice laugh anyway image
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>WE OFTEN MAKE MONEY ON SHIPPING >>

I don't see how...

$12 to ship 20 oz silver in tube

$5.75 postage
    $3.20 insurance
    $8.95 Total
    -12.00 S/H/I Charge
    $4.05 Income

$5.76 Final Fee

Leaving a loss of $1.71, PayPal payments add $6.12 for a loss of $7.89
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    You guys have to remember what is being sold here, unopened fresh from the mint rolls. Bullion dealers operate on a very thin margin, and most will not take these rolls back. You buy them, cherry pick what you want, and sell the rest. I don't see anything rude here, as I said after expenses the margin is tiny. I have bought many rolls like this and almost all of the coins have been high quality.
  • I understand that K6, and I know their margin really is very small, especially considering minimum orders from the mint and all the hoops you have to jump through just to be able to buy uncirc. SAEs from the mint. I still think their tone is a bit on the rude side though--"we will not email you, and don't email us."
    All I can tell you is this - the last thing I bought from them was a roll of 2002 SAEs, same deal, greentop tubes. I won the auction, shipping was reasonable, and I paid. Five days later I had my roll of SAEs, and I don't think one would grade less than MS67.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Well, if nothing else, the seller could be a little more tactful in their phrasing.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have bought from them before and what I received was ok. not great, not bad.
    I won't buy from them again for normal items (and doubt I would anyway).

Their prices for bullion isn't great when you factor in their s/h/i costs. I have gotten better.
    Their terms are rude. Up front, but rude. I don't email my sellers and ask them questions unless there is a problem when I receive the item. But, I also try not to deal with dorkheads like that.

They want to dictate everything like they are doing, then I want them to PROVE they are selling first strikes. I know that there are many first strikes throughout the year, as the dies change, but, if they want to put all those restrictions and say that is what a bidder is agreeing to, then I want what I pay for that they are advertising (and guaranteeing since that is what the description says, right?)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

I agree they could be a little more tactful in their presentation. Those terms must be something new, they didn't use them when I bought from them.

You vote with your dollars. There are plenty of businesses selling these, so perhaps if they realize their terms are a turnoff, they may change them.
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    This auction listing insults my intelligence...I will not bid on sellers who list like this.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    They are a bit brusk but I can see where they are coming from. They probably are getting tired of having to deal with a lot of emails for people who are wanting to know where their coins are just two days after they ordered them, or people who want to return their rolls because they aren't filled with MS-69's or better, or from people who want to return PART of their order(after the cherrypick the rolls and not want to send back the put together reject rolls). Etc.

I know a numismatic literature dealer who has had to put similar disclaimers in his ads. He sells items including auction catalogs and he normally shows the front cover and a picture from an inside page so you can see what you are getting. He kept having to deal with angry customers who won his auctions and "all they received was a catalog and not those nice high grade coins pictured in the auction". They would demand refunds, give him negs, threaten to "turn him in to eBay" etc.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their auction text has been that way for over a year now (aside from admitting they make money on shipping).
    I can agree that people may not want to be bothered a lot of times, but, you know something, I still don't think rudeness is right nor required.
    That's why I vote with my feet ($$$$) and don't look back.

They are quite succesful without me, and people like me, anyway.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    i think it's great, probably expresses what 99% of other ebay sellers want to say, but don't have the guts to.

K S
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Condor,

I know this "numislit" dealer of whom you speak. He's a nice guy and very ethical. I once facetiously inquired of him the line in every one of his lot descriptions that the lot does not come with the coins depicted. Shockingly, he responded with total seriousness that he has to do this...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file