Home U.S. Coin Forum

Raw Morgan Dollar

I am thinking of making a raw morgan purchase from Harlan J Berk.
It is listed as being 1898-0 MS64 DMPL.

Here is the

link

I am going to take a look at it soon. They are offering it at $175. What do you think would be a good bid for this coin?

Heritagecoin auctions have slabbed PCGS and NGC selling anywhere between $200-$300.

Those of you who have bought raw from Harlan J Berk, what are your experiences after getting them professionally graded?

Thanks,
Birdman

Comments

• Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Can't say without having the coin in hand. May be a PQ 64 or a dog.

Check the return policy before buying...in case you're unhappy.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    If you would have posted last week I would was downtown and could have checked it out! But now I'm stuck in the burbs!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scans -- which, admittedly, aren't outstanding -- don't convince me it's a DMPL.

At $175 the coin is priced at full Grey Sheet for a 64DMPL. But Grey Sheet is generally regarded right now as being below actual market prices for DMPLs, so the price is fair if it is correctly graded and you can get PCGS or NGC to agree. But that's easier said than done... and especially with DMPLs at PCGS.

Good luck with your decision.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Those of you who have bought raw from Harlan J Berk, what are your experiences after getting them professionally graded?

I have never had anything certified that I bought raw from them, but Harlan Berk is a reputable company and you will be okay. I have done business with them (buying and selling) and they are straight shooters.

Dennis
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • I have done business with them and they are good......
    JoeCool
  • Sorry, the coin appears to have a small problem with the
    field. If a coin is an obvious DMPL 64, it gets sent in. Every
    time............if not, there is a problem. Live by that rule.
    Real nice coins are not sold raw, they just are not.
    Rusty
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Real nice coins are not sold raw, they just are not. >>

I do not entirely subscribe to this point of view, though it is mostly true, and I would say it's probably true with Morgan dollars.
    Not so true of early copper or world coins or ancients, among other things. One certainly would have good reason to ask why such a coin isn't slabbed.

As others have said, the picture does not convince me the coin is DMPL. It certainly looks like it could be PL, but if I was to pay DMPL money, I would want better pictures, at the very least.

At least it's from a well-known company with a decent reputation.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    This is Harlan Berk we are talking about. They are one of the most respected dealers in the country, and I have never known anyone to be upset with coins they have bought from them. If I was in the market for that particular date, I wouldn't hestitate to buy from them.
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    By the way, a regular poster over on RCC works for them. You may have heard of him, and if you think you might like the coin you ought to call them up and ask for him. His name is Tom DeLorey.
  • dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭
    IMO the price is a little on the high side since the coin is raw. When you see it if you like it, you should get it. There needs to be a non slabbed raw discount.
  • I took a look at it and not being an expert grader decided not to buy. It looked very nice to me in the photos, but looking at the reverse
    in person I noticed a pretty serious looking, at least to me, scratch across the lower right side. I also compared it to an 1880-s PCGS MS64PL that I
    own and it just didnt look as good.

I just didnt feel comfortable with the purchase, so I passed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file