Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why would ANYBODY send this to NTC?

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
Link

Could it be real? This seller has a habit for listing pricey coins on Ebay, either raw or in bottom-feeder slabs. Such a shame...

Comments

• tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    wow, i have no idea if its real, but i would go anacs for that.........looks cleaned to me, but what do i know?
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    If it is real, it's probably damaged/tooled, too. The seller has been around for a long time, and isn't that dumb.
  • Probably cleaned and an EF40 in condition from a wear standpoint, but most early type has been cleaned, and unless grevious in nature, can usually be slabbed by NGC or PCGS. In the case of this coin, I'll guess that there's a repair or removed graffiti or perhaps a tiny plug that prevented it from being graded by the top two. Otherwise, it would be sheer madness not to have it graded by one of the majors. I'll bet that route was already tried and ended in a bodybag for the submitter.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • He probably tried every grading service until he found one that would slab it. My neighbor had a coin that was fake, he found out by sending it to PCGS. When he got it back he sent it to ACG and they slab it......image
    JoeCool
  • ealandg posted the same link last night in this thread.

Read my responses in the linked thread. In short, the coin is holed/plugged and retooled. Look at the forehead area and the corresponding area on the reverse ("ISME").
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file