Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1991 Topps Baseball "Vintage Card Inserts"...

My friend and I recently bought a large collection and it contained a lot of wax boxes in it. As we were going through some of the stuff tonight there were a couple of 91 topps baseball boxes. I really didn't want to spend anytime opening any of those packs so I joked around about how we could possible pull an old Mantle or Ted Williams card from one of the packs. My buddy who knows little about cards ended up pulling a 71 topps Bob Gibson. I know it's not worth a whole lot but I was just shocked that we actually pulled one of the vintage cards that topps randomly put into the packs. I was just wondering if anyone else ever pulled anything good from one of these packs because I assume there is still a lot of sealed wax out there from 91 Topps and there could be a chance to pull a few decent cards.

Comments

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Yes, there's a fair amount of that stuff still around. A few years ago I went looking for a sealed 91 case and found one, but I didn't want to pay the price the guy wanted. I was possessed by the idea of pulling a "vintage buyback" as they are called today. I didn't care if it was a 1978 Biff Pocoroba or what, but I just wanted to have that experience. However, that eventually wore off. As many cards as Topps produced over the years, 1991 production was so great that there's only 1 of those cards in every 5 cases or so, so you got pretty lucky, moreso that it was a great player. So even opening a case wouldn't give you a great shot at pulling one. I know I must've opened at least 8 boxes worth of packs trying to complete my set that year and never hit one.

One other thing to note, the 1952-1956 cards were obviously not able to be inserted into packs, so they used redemption vouchers that expired over a decade ago, so even if you hit one of those, that'll be the extent of your luck. Still, it's nice to dream about pulling a 1957 Mantle or 1963 Koufax or 1989 Gregg Jefferies out of a 1991 pack 13 years after the fact.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    I pulled a 1965 common in 91'. Form what I can remember it wasn't any better than a EX-MT card
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    If my memory serves me right, I think Topps bought one of every card (1952-1990) from Larry Fritsch and randomly inserted them in packs. I actually own a 1991 Topps rack pack with a 1974 Chicago Cubs team card showing on the top (pretty unique).
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Not only did they use redemptions for the large-size cards, they also used redemptions for any card valued at $50 or more at the time.

Topps did vintage card inserts in 2003 as well. I pulled a Gary Carter Record Breaker from '89 Topps out of a pack. They actually did something to make it special - they embossed it with a special Topps Vintage Card logo. I don't know how many of each vintage card they included in 2003.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Nick,
    They released the print numbers for the vintage embossed cards from '03. You can look them up on Beckett. Your Gary Carter RB had a print run of 26.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Joe - thanks. I didn't realize they had published it.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.