Home U.S. Coin Forum

$2.50 & $5 Indian Die Clashes...variety reference?

AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
Greetings. I have had the fortune to "happen" on a few interesting die clashes on some gold half eagles, and can't seem to find any good variety references. Any authorities out there that can point me in the right direction? My resources are limited here off the coast of Alaska...

This is a $5 1909-S :

Secondly, I'm new (be gentle) at these forums, how do I customize my author icon?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Comments

• Try reading the articles at RareGoldcoins.com
    Seems to me I read an article there about that subject.
    Can't remember the article though.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • My resources are limited here off the coast of Alaska...

So.....let me guess.....you don't visit many coin shops, do you??

As for the clashed dies, I am not seeing them in the image you provided. Could you point them out, please?
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Incused coin die clash, interesting. Like Jaderarecoin I don't see where you coin is clashed.
  • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's directly under the chin in the throat area....... image

My guess it is the eagles right (left side looking at coin) wing that clashed with this obverse.

EDIT: Here's a picture I did...

jom
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me a while to figure it out. I finally superimposed the reverse with the obverse and was astounded. And yes, I don't get to many coinshops...only 2 within 800 miles, and both a long swim.

I briefly looked at RareGoldCoins.com, but it looks like it will take a bit to browse the many articles they have. Nothing specific to Indian half-eagles.

Here's my photo-edit with them superimposed. Jom is right-on! There is even marks in the headdress upper right feathers by the first star. Way cool...

I have seen this on several examples. Usually most pronounced below the chin, looking like a tassel or loop.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job! I haven't yet figured out to super-impose pics.

I see these clashed Indians every once in a while but I haven't seen one where I liked the coin enough to purchase it. I buy MS pieces for my date set so I have to be picky. image

jom
  • Akbeez, thanks for the superimposed image. That's cool.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I thought that was an adams-appleimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file