Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How do I submit my coin to ANACS?

If I don't tell ANACS my coin is damaged, (By a few small scratchs) how would they know it deserves a damage description in the slab?

Also, I'm going to send my coin into ANACS. I think you have to submit a submission form. I tried to fill one out but I can't seem to find one. Can anyone help me out and tell me how to get my coin to ANACS?

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    They will mark a coins problems on the slab if they find them. I doubt they will miss them.
    Go to www.anacs.com and get a form to print out or call-email them and they will mail you one.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I don't tell ANACS my coin is damaged, (By a few small scratchs) how would they know it deserves a damage description in the slab? >>

No, they would never pick up on something like scratches, cleaning or other damage. Just be sure you tell them that it is a Sovereign so they know what it is, I doubt they have ever seen one before!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Will the old dead king be raising the alert? image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    to hell with the alert...a wedgie is more appropriate! image
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I don't tell ANACS my coin is damaged, (By a few small scratchs) how would they know it deserves a damage description in the slab? >>

It's what they do. They will notice. They are paid to notice. They will write it down.

<< <i>Also, I'm going to send my coin into ANACS. I think you have to submit a submission form. I tried to fill one out but I can't seem to find one. Can anyone help me out and tell me how to get my coin to ANACS? >>

Try this link: Strangely enough, anacs.com

Look at the computer screen, follow the appropriately labeled links and do what they say.

edited to add: Sorry Placid, I didn't see you had the website written down already...

• Options

<< <i>No, they would never pick up on something like scratches, cleaning or other damage. Just be sure you tell them that it is a Sovereign so they know what it is, I doubt they have ever seen one before! >>

imageimage
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Here's a form: http://www.anacs.com/download/2pages.fml .

I went there and now I have no clue what to do. To confusing image

I'm sure they've seen a soverign before. Please stop the sarcasm. I was simply asking why they could tell those tiny marks from normal bag marks.
  • Options
    Because they grade with a 30x electronic microscope, and they get paid to know the difference. What you have to ask yourself is "why" do you want it slabbed?? If you have the bucks to spend on grading fees then you have the bucks to buy coins.
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    Do you know how much they charge?
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Do you have a printer?

http://www.anacs.com/forms/index.html >>

yes I have a working printer. I clicked on the first one (here's the link: http://www.anacs.com/download/2pages.fml) however I do not see any form on that link that I can fill out. It just says the rules and stuff.
  • Options
    I put the link for the page to pick a form style to print and the form to fill out to have one mailed in my previous post.
    That should get you on track.
  • Options
    Placid, why do I get the feeling that you're going to be asked to come over, print it out, fill it out, provide the envelope and stamp, and mail it for him too?
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "No, they would never pick up on something like scratches, cleaning or other damage. Just be sure you tell them that it is a Sovereign so they know what it is, I doubt they have ever seen one before!" --Director of Forumland Security

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I apologize for sounding mean however,

Was is not you that had posted in a thread in the other forum that you had put scratches into your Sovereign to verify it was gold? As others have stated that ANACS will pick up on that damage. There is nothing you can say nor do to change the fact that the coin is now damaged and it will be reflected so on the slab. We all welcome new folks who enjoy our passion for coins and will try to help anyone we can. But it seems to me you are searching for someone to comfort you in saying that ANACS or any grading company will not notice the damage you have inflicted on your coin.

My advice, as with many others, is that if you do not want the coin to be labeled with the damage on it please do not submit it to be graded.image

I apologize to my friends here if I sounded a wee bit strong,
    Micheál
  • Options

<< <i>But it seems to me you are searching for someone to comfort you in saying that ANACS or any grading company will not notice the damage you have inflicted on your coin.

My advice, as with many others, is that if you do not want the coin to be labeled with the damage on it please do not submit it to be graded.image

I apologize to my friends here if I sounded a wee bit strong,
    Micheál >>

You are not being too strong at all. This person is a numismatic vandal who has robbed future generations from owning a nice problem free 1913 Sovereign. He deserves to take a loss on it for being such a putz. He seems to want his hand held and to be told "it's o.k." What he did is like taking a $100 bill out of your wallet and burning it to see if it is paper or holding a match up to your gas tank to see if it is full! In a word STUPID! Now he is looking for a way to slip his STUPID mistake past a grading service so he can pass this damaged coin off to some unsuspecting collector, he is trying to find a way to defraud someone else because he SCREWED UP!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Hey Dead King - you are going to explode if you keep bottling up your feelings.image

Come on, tell us how you really feel.image
    Roy

• Options
    Sorry Roy, sometimes I just hold it all inside.image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Alright now, I can understand a total newbie 'testing' a gold coin like he might have seen in movies or some odd crap like that. So I'll excuse that point (for now, see below). But, as Aethelred says, this guy made a mistake and now wants some other person to lose money because he can't accept responsibility for his own mistake. That's not excusable under any circumstance. Most people would consider it fraud.

But back to the newbie point.. it was quite a while before I figured out what bags marks refer to: If he knows jargon he knows enough to not be an idiot.
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    OK - This guy is just yanking our chain and playing us - I, from this post on, will not acknowledge any more posts from him.
    Shep
  • Options
    I agree spoon, knowingly passing off a problem coin is the same as stealing. I guess that is why I got my panties in such a wad!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>If I don't tell ANACS my coin is damaged, (By a few small scratchs) how would they know it deserves a damage description in the slab?
    tell me how to get my coin to ANACS? >>

Now that I re-read this part I realize it seemed like perhaps I was plotting to do fraud. This is totally not the case and I was just wondering how they could tell the scratchs I made from normal bag marks and wear. My coin is damaged and I will tell them if they ask. I was not plotting to do this ...

I feel the same way as I did on the other forums. Although the other forums you could cuss, and it was all hell. I don't want to experience it again. If this gets any worse when I am trying to be honest as I can and friendly as I can and when I get constant flames like this it is not cool.

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Call ANACS. They will send you a sort of "welcome" kit, including a submission form, a plastic flip, and an insert bag. They are very helpful if you give them a call. Nice thing about the form is that it includes copies and a pre-printed submission number. Better for tracking your submission with them. The form's directions are pretty simple. I just submitted my first ever anything a couple of weeks ago (a 1913 Indian Quarter Eagle).

Enjoy.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past few years ANACS has been especially careful. They will net grade for most any problem. Note that they will bodybag coins with PVC or active corrosion. Your chance of slipping something by them is remote.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>In the past few years ANACS has been especially careful. They will net grade for most any problem. Note that they will bodybag coins with PVC or active corrosion. Your chance of slipping something by them is remote. >>

PLEASE understand I'm not trying to slip though anything. I was just wondering how they could tell the scratchs I made from normal bagmarks from circulation. I guess its because of the size of the bagmarks.?
  • Options
    I gave them a call and I did indeed have the form filled out. I'll send my coin in tommorrow image
  • Options

<< <i>PLEASE understand I'm not trying to slip though anything. I was just wondering how they could tell the scratchs I made from normal bagmarks from circulation. I guess its because of the size of the bagmarks.? >>

1. Scratches are different from bagmarks. Bagmarks are normal and one would expect a coin to pick some up during the early stage of it's life. Scratching a coin is damage and if severe enough will result in a bodybag at PCGS and NGC or a net grade at ANACS.

2. Bagmarks are, as a general rule, created at the mint. As the name should imply, coins that are intended for circulation are bagged and shipped to banks. In the process they pick up small marks from contact with other coins. Once a coin is circulated wear and not bagmarks are the primary concern.

3. If you are trying to get something over on someone you will fail, so whatever!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Can't find that beating a dead horse icon anywhere! image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options

I've marked my calendar 90 days from today to herald the return of the pos coin and the whining we shall be made to endure.
  • Options
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD

• Options
    .....GOD