Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin photo lighting question

Now that I have successfully loaded a photo onto this site, I'm trying to figure out how to make it light enough so the viewer can actually see the coin.

Someone posted this the other day:

Is this (or a reasonable facsimile of it like Russ showed) the way you guys take such excellent pictures?

I tried piling all of the small desk lamps I own around the coin and it still isn't quite adequate - this is about the best lit picture I could get:

So how do you do it? What do I need?

Comments

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Red X. Looks like your trying to show something from Bh photo. copy stand ,maybe?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Red X. Looks like your trying to show something from Bh photo. copy stand ,maybe? >>

Yes. Looks like they offer a huge range of them from $135 to $500+.

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Photoshop
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I use a low-end version without the attached lights. motion is the killer for closeup photos. I just use a couple desk lamps and the camera's self timer for exposures.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

<< <i>image

Photoshop >>

Well, it is lighter, but it looks odd. Like a photoshopped image rather than a crystal clear bright coin like I see posted in here all the time.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like they offer a huge range of them from $135 to $500+. >>

The one I use costs $41.

Desk lamp thingies were $6.99 each, and the light bulbs are $4.99 a four pack (GE Reveal).

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>The one I use costs $41.

Desk lamp thingies were $6.99 each, and the light bulbs are $4.99 a four pack (GE Reveal).

Russ, NCNE >>

Forgive the beginnerific questions -

1) So you have three desk lamps pretty much right on top of the coin. What size bulbs are in those?
    2) It looks like you have some kind of vice-like things that holds the slab. Can you show a picture of how that works?
    3) How do you avoid the slab picking up the reflections of the lights? The only way I could take a shot of the slab without a giant reflection of a lightbulb in it was to position the lights at angles which solved the reflection problem but made the picture slightly too dark.

Thanks -

• FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More photoshop
  • I take pics of my coins outside in the hot, hot arizona sunlight image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1) So you have three desk lamps pretty much right on top of the coin. What size bulbs are in those? >>

Varies from a single 40 watt to three 100 watt and every combination in between. Just depends on what I'm shooting.

<< <i>2) It looks like you have some kind of vice-like things that holds the slab. Can you show a picture of how that works? >>

You're looking at the camera mount. The slab lays flat on the cardboard I have laying at the base of the stand. I normally use black cloth, but put green there because the mount would have been hard to see against a black background.

<< <i>3) How do you avoid the slab picking up the reflections of the lights? >>

Angle and moving the lights around.

Here's your coin with the bright upped a bit:

Russ, NCNE
    Thanks Russ -

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Screw everyone else image
  • FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
    Sorry - didn't mean to leave anyone out - just wanted to thank Russ for answering my follow-up questions, including all the PMs I have sent him about uploading, downloading, etc. in the past.

Thanks to all.

But don't take my word for it, rather wait to see the Ansel Adams-esque shots you'll see from me in the future, as this will be the sincerest form of thanks any Nikon toting collector could offer.

• Try using a black felt or velvet cloth as a background.
    Also experiment with different white-balance settings.
    Try using a tripod and use the timer setting so you're
    not hold the camera.
    These little tricks can make a big difference.

Skipper
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I use a black velvet type cloth, a digital camera tripod and shoot in as much natural light as possible. I will take a group of pictures and just weed out the ones I think are the best. I have tried shooting under desk lamps and such, but always come out with yellowish pictures. Here is a couple of examples of some wheats I have up on the bay of E.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file