Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

They just imploded the vet.....

Lots of good memories for me and my father gone up in dust. Hope the new ballpark will have as many good memories for me and my son and daughter.
ebay seller name milbroco
email bcmiller7@comcast.net

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Here is to a new era in Philadelphia Sports history. image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    New Stadiums don't always equal good teams.

I should know....I'm a Reds fan.

(I did see one game in the Vet)
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Was a very cool looking implosing - lots of fun to se the replays of that.

Unfortunately, word is that the new stadium isn't ready yet....given the union situation here, I wonder if that will be a problem....?

Let's go Phillies in 2004!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    MS - Whats the contingency plan? The season opens in 2 weeks...jay
  • Options
    Never saw the vet, but I heard it was the worst ballpark in the majors. Thank goodness they got rid of Fulton County in Atlanta. Most of the ballparks that went up in the 60's and early 70's just seemed to have absolutely no character.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    I love some of the photos on philly.com with the entire skyline in the background and the imploding Vet in the foreground (yes, I have new wallpaper for my computer image) ...

Robert
  • Options
    Did they sell "pieces" of the old stadium - like seats? If so, how much did such items go for? If I was a Phillie fan (I'm not), I'd love such an item.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Rumor has it that Topps will issue "Chunk of the Vet" relic cards,
    with each card containing a chip of cement from the imploded stadium.
    Premiums will be paid for cards bearing authentic, game-used hoagie
    juice stains.

• Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    The Vet was horrible, although I have some good memories there, like the time the fans got upset at an ump's call and showered the ENTIRE field with garbage.

I was lucky enough so see Mike Schmidt's 493rd (or 494th?) home run there in early 1987. They had a sign in left field that said "SCHMIDTTY 500" and it listed his current HR total. He parked it to left and the place went wild.

And the only time I ever saw Pete Rose play in person was at the Vet. He was player/manager with the Reds at the time.

Oh, and back to Schmidt, I saw him hit a 400 foot single there. He drove it far and it bounced off the wall on the fly, but for some odd reason he could only make it to first before they threw it back in. Maybe the runners thought it would be caught and they didn't run, that's all I can think. My eye was focused on the ball the whole time.