Home U.S. Coin Forum

Two MS67 Lincoln wheats ended tonight on ebay - prepare yourself!

Two that I was watching:

1952-S

1954-D

Guess it'll be awhile before I upgrade my 66's!!

Edit: Ira was dukin' it out with flog31 on both. That name is familiar. Is he on the boards?

Mike
Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!

Comments

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Yikes! That bidder is none other than Ira Stein, who is a well know seller of high grade Lincolns. If he paid that much for them, you have to know that he figures he can flip them for a profit. Incredible, I think I am going to have to pull out my wheaties and see if I can sell them for a nice profit.
  • K6AZ - You're right! I didn't notice that Ira got them both. He has some great wheats on ebay from time to time. Great pics and descriptions. His wheats typically go for between 20% and 60% over ebay average sale prices for the same grade/date/mm. He must think these two are special!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
    He knows the Lincoln market inside out. He must know something to have bid on those two coins. I don't think he is really a crackout artist.

I have a 37-D in 67. After seeing this, I am seriously considering pulling it out and putting it up.
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    He probably has a collector's wantlist with these dates on it.

Edited to add, maybe he sold the coins to the seller desertcrest in the first place. Last spring Ira had a bunch of Lincolns I wanted and I always got outbid by desertcrest! (If my memory is correct, a nice 31-d and some others?).
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    You'all can bet that if Ira was bidding that kind of money,they are already sold.I am in the middle of a transaction with him now,on a 1909-S/ Horizontal S MS63 RD PCGS Lincoln.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Ira is one of the truly good guys!! image
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    Maybe he wanted to add them to the coin toilet seat he outbid me on last year ? image

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.

• << <i>Maybe he wanted to add them to the coin toilet seat he outbid me on last year ? image >>

• baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Man, that '54-d is something else though - doesn't even look real. Cant' say the '52-s is anything to sneeze at either.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    I am suprised to see that 54d is a 67...usually PCGS likes the O in ONE CENT be full for a 67. I would think on a tougher date like the 54d, that that would almost a prerequisite.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
    Hmm... If that 54-d is a 67 with weakness on the O like that my raw 55-s is no doubt 67. I bet they wouldn't grade it as so, very unfair. Why I like to keep all my nice raw coins raw.

<< <i>Maybe he wanted to add them to the coin toilet seat he outbid me on last year ? image

Les >>

You mean this one? image

• Looks a little like petescorner's icon...
    -George
    42/92
    I pointed this thread out to Ira, but apparently he has been busy lately. He sent me a reply, and said I could post it here. These are his thoughts on the two Lincolns.

Thanks for the heads-up, Eric. I don't think I saved that photo, so it brought back a few chuckles. I'm not on the Coin Universe Forums much..don't really have the time.

As far as those 3 coins I won go, I stretched a bit on the 1952-S but got what I feel was a good buy on the 1954D. I've only seen 3 in my career graded MS67 by PCGS and all had weakness on the O of ONE. I'm hoping I have a buyer for those two, but I'll put the 1953-S up on eBay if it looks okay.

You're right, I'm not a crackout artist, but I know how terribly scarce some of those coins in the 50's are in MS-67 and this looked like an opportunity. I've sold Desertcrest only one of the three I won. He's quite picky, and should be, and I believe the other two were probably purchased from Andy S. at Angel Dee's and are also well above the norm.

It's very, very difficult to get a MS-67 out of PCGS on any Lincoln cent from 1958 on back, with the exception of the 1945-S. The two higher priced coins I won will hopefully go into someone's (not mine) high end Lincoln collection, and I doubt the buyer will easily part with them. A 1909-S VDB in MS-65 red is far easier to locate that that 1954D in MS-67. A comparison with a MS-66 of that date, probably worth about $35 or so, will reveal how it garnered that lofty grade.

I haven't added anything but about 4 coins to my collection in recent years, and they ranged from $225 in price to $800. None were Lincoln cents! I can't afford to upgrade them, and that doesn't even take into account what the little lady would do if I indulged myself.

Feel free to post this reply to the thread in the Coin Universe Forum if you wish.

• MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Wow, those are very expensive condition rarities. I would never pay that. These are very common even in 66 red. Cents were collected by the roll. These are crazy prices.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me or do the images looke vaselined?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
    Whoa! Someone (not me) just listed a 67rd 1950! Also a 45,49-d,52-d and some others! Holy cow!

Link
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Maybe I should send these in for gradingimageWell, except that middle one. It has a weak strike on the reverse. This is the second time I've had them up on Ebay. I think they look darn nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file