Home U.S. Coin Forum

Off Centered Morgan - Missaligned Die PICS ADDDED

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey all...

I was at a local gun show today and saw a dealer that had lots of old handguns in a display case with a dozen or so Morgan and Peace Dollars. He said the coins were for sale so I sifted through them for rarities...nothing spectacular. I did find an 1887O Morgan (not 7 over 6). The coin is a nice VF30 with a pretty "circulated darkness" but still some luster. It also has the beginnings of nice gold and a tad of green rainbow toning above Lady Liberty's cap.

The interesting part is the obverse was struck a bit off center. The coin has denticals all the way around but the rim at the bottom left is much wider while the rim at the top right is extremely thin barely showing the denticals. The bottom left has about 2mm of "blank" space between the bottom of the denticals and the edge of the coin. I'm sorry I don't have any photos but I don't have my camera this weekend. I will post pics soon...hopefully tomorrow night.

I purchased the coin and only paid for the silver value (hehe) because the guy has no idea about coins. Does this error increase the value or rarity of the coin at all? If so by what percentage? I appreciate any thoughts you have on this and will update this thread with nice pics as soon as possible.

Here is the coin...from the last post describing missaligned dies I'm thinking that is what this is and not an "off center". So now knowing what it is and that it does not affect the value of the coin nearly as much as an off center would....how does a missaligned die affect the value? Alot? Alittle? None? Opinions? Thanks folks for your help image

Also...what do y'all think it would grade?

imageimage

Comments

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes thats it! The off center defect in my coin is exactly like the one in the link you provided, thank god because I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to describe it in words. However it is not as severe, it's about half that so I'd say 2.5% off center. The coin is also not a 90's Morgan and it's not an MS64 LOL

Can anyone tell me how this would affect the value of the coin? Also, should I send it to the boys at PCGS to get it in plastic or no?
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Yes, a PCGS holder would fetch the most money. You may want to ask Fred Weinberg actually when you
    get some photos of the coin.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you might have made a real score. If so, congrats!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    from your description (the obverse was struck a bit off center) I am inclined to say MisAligned Die which would not fetch big money like an Off Center would.
    How do I tell the difference between an offcenter and a missaligned die?
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few neat Morgan Dollar OC errors in the Heritage Portland sale (7% and 8% OC) and are in the $1500 range at this point.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

<< <i>How do I tell the difference between an offcenter and a missaligned die? >>

Anyone?
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

An off-center will be off on both sides while a misaligned die is just off-center on one side and the other will be centered!!

Here is a misaligned die!!

TTT for added pics/description/questions.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    well Clad...
    does yours look like Rottnrog's?? or are both sides "off center"? Post a pic!!!!!!
    I did man! Look at the first post there are obverse and reverse pics image Looks like a missaligned die to me.

Here is the new text and pics moved from first post to last post LOL

Here is the coin...from the last post describing missaligned dies I'm thinking that is what this is and not an "off center". So now knowing what it is and that it does not affect the value of the coin nearly as much as an off center would....how does a missaligned die affect the value? Alot? Alittle? None? Opinions? Thanks folks for your help image

Also...what do y'all think it would grade?

imageimage
    Can anyone help as to how a missaligned die affects value and their opinion of the grade of the coin?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not sure of the value... I don't think it is all that common for the earlier dates.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    A coin struck from missaligned dies will still be completely round and have the same diameter as a regular strike.

A coin struck off center will not be perfectly round and will not have the same diameter as a regular strike.

With that said, I'm sorry to say that I don't believe your coin is an off center strike.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    For sure a misaligned die.

Only if the misalignment is dramatic would it bring much of a premium, and even at that, the premium is not much for MAD (Misaligned Die). I would imagine your coin have little to no premium.

Sorry.

Richard.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file