Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best book on baseball cards

For the third time I am looking through my copy of 'The Great American Flipping Trading and Bubble Gum Book'. More for the vintage crowd as I believe it was written in 1973. I got my copy from Amazon last year. The best part of the book is the snipets on the players mostly from the 50's and 60's. It has a picture of the player represented by Topps cards and often times hilarious right ups on each one. Definitely recommended if you guys haven't read this.

Example - 1958 Topps Whammy Douglas - 'The hat? The eyes? The name? Somebody has definiitely got to pulling our legs with this guy.'
Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    man did u bring me back in time.....playing leaners, and tops and fartheses...lol I can remm winning some huge pots and losing some too! that card is touching!! no it aint ..or you would knock that last leaner down and make a run for your cards!! oh what a glorious time!! then all of a sudden colors and teams...real skill was knocking down that leaner...thats where all the dings come from lol

edited to say: and woe to the guy down to his last card and it was a MANTLE or MAYS!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man....now I've got to find my copy of that book...I think it's buried somewhere in my closet. My mom bought it for me back in the late '70's. It never failed to crack me up reading the different blurbs about the players and cardsimageimage

Steve
  • Options
    I read that book. It's really great. A must read, especially for the collectors from the 50's - 70's.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I have it also, got my copy in the 70's and it was the only book that had baseball cards in it, it even pre-dated the Beckett price guides.
    The book is an easy read. The few times I've read it, I read it in 1 sitting. Recommend it highly...jay
  • Options
    You made me pull my book off the shelf and check. Yes, it is a first edition that I bought right when it came out. It introduced me to many kinds of cards I had never seen before and made some of the players memorable as I began to collect old sets.

I also like the giant coffee table books by Warner Books - Topps Baseball Cards and Classic Baseball Cards. They have reference pictures of all Topps Cards (through whenever it was published) and great non-Topps cards going back into the 1800's.

Keith
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I've got a second edition. Great reading. The back cover notes that this book was a New York Times Book Review "Notable Book of the Year"! Quite an honor for a little book about our beloved cardboard heroes.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!