Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lil' help identifying a Hard Times token

I think I picked up a HTA33. This variety has denticles instead of beads (mine appears to be denticles) and the left ear does not touch the letter I, mine doesn't. But a HTA33 is suppose to be 29.5mm mine is not. The holes in my album are 29mm. I should have to press it in and it drops in (I have another 29mm token HT63 and that I had to press in). So what do you think ? I have a HT33 and this is clearly different (especially the ear length) but the size is throwing me off. SEE PICS

Comments

• could it be a LOW# 19 which is suppose to be 28.5mm made of copper? Does the other side of a tortoise with a safe on is back?
    My Collection of National Notes
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Jim I have found with tokens nothing is cut and dry and there are always exceptions to the rule.
    It is not out of the realm of possibility that yours was struck on the smaller MM planchet.
    These tokens as you know were struck by private minters. In their backyard production anything is possibile and weirder stuff than this often turns up.
    I would go by the basic diagnostics for the die variety not putting great emphasis on the planchet size.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Thanks Gemini. With that info I feel reasonable sure I picked up the R5 HT A33. image
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    If the hardtimes tokens were struck with an open collar they will not all be the same diameter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file