Home U.S. Coin Forum

Going to my first coin show tomorrow

Any last minute tips?

Comments

• Walk the whole floor before making any decisions. Ignore grumpy dealers and only buy from those who are willing to take some time to talk to you.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be afraid to pay a bit too much for something if you really, really think it's special.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Make sure your zipper is zipped? image

Seriously, have never been to one yet so I dunno...
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ignore grumpy dealers and only buy from those who are willing to take some time to talk to you. >>

That's some really important advice. You're young--realize that some dealers just won't give a hoot about you--in their eyes, you aren't valuable, whether it's true or false. You will find some dealers who will be glad to talk to you and answer your questions--those are the dealers who deserve your business... don't waste your time with the ones who don't care.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't buy a coin unless you LOVE IT! The last thing you want to do is get home & not be thrilled with it.

Someone here once said that the coin will find you and you won't find yourself hemming & hawing over buying it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Thanks everybody!
  • Just Have fun... and don't let the idiots get you down...
    -George
    42/92
  • I dress down, hover before I actually ask to see something (to get a feel of the dealer), avoid "grumpy", impolite dealers, scan all tables before focusing on what I really want, offer to buy a low-price item from a dealer who has something I really want (can't hurt and it gives me a steady supply of prizes for my coin club's YN drawings), and I try to be nice, without fawning.

I get a secret "high" when some dealer treats me like you know what 'cause I'm in jeans and a t-shirt (Led Zeppelin's my favorite for shows), and I'm standing here with a good-sized wad of hundreds in those tattered jeans!

Most of all, have fun and learn as much as you can from your first show. The second, third, etc., will go much smoother!!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Try to stick to a game plan, write down the coins you need. Not to say if you find something you really want you cant buy it just be careful not to impulse buy. From personal experiances when I stick to a list I never regrete buying it because I know for a fact that I really need it. Instead of going home and wondering why I bought it in the first place.
  • I went today,and it was one of the best experiences of my life.I browsed every table and looked at about every coin before I bought anything.I got a couple of coins for my type set,a 1928 SLQ in VF20 and a 1913 Var.1 Buffalo Nickel in AU-50.My grandpa bought a roll of the new nickels and gave me and my brother and sister one,I used mine as an upgrade in my Type Set.I saw a lot of silver and gold bullion changing hands and I was suprised to see only one slabbed coin in a bad holder,a 1909S VDB cent in a SEGS slab.I also picked up a few cheap foreign coins.The person who sold me the SLQ stopped us on our way out and gave my sister,brother,and I a replica of a United States coin.Later,we went to Monicals and then home and I got mostly clothes and stuff,and a 2004 SAE which I used as an upgrade for the one in my Type Set.
  • Make a list of the coins you realy want so you don't impulse buy stuff you wish you didn't.
  • Do your research, I just got back from the NW show in Minnesota and I'm glad I did my research first. It was funny going up to a dealer asking $225 for a Winona National and having my Minnesota nationals price list of prices realized at Lyn Knight and Heritage and what have you. I pulled out my notes and I go "you paid $100 here's the serial #". image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file