Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Lowest price for a '52 Topps Mantle PSA 1?

What would you all guess would be the LOWEST price one would go for?

I'm seriously contemplating getting a PSA 1 of this card, but can only afford about $1,000 to $2,000 (on the trusty old CC at that). I'm sure at this price the card would be pretty ratty, but if it's a PSA 1 then at least I'd know it's legit.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    About a 1.5 years ago, one went for $1,200 with bad paper loss on the corners. Recently a Mantle with paper loss over the mouth went for about $1,050. Be very careful if you try to save money by buying an ungraded one, as there are a lot of fakes out there. The 1050 one was real and was the cheapest whole one I've seen in the last year. I kick myself because about 2 years ago a PSA 7OC went for $4,800! - now 3's go for more than that!

Brian
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    52T #311 Mantle
    This gentleman has this little number up for auction from a "distressed sale" - could be a really nice buy for that 'motivated' buyer who has a discriminating eye for the really fine things in life.
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    Yeah, it's from his grandfather's collection who died in 1945. Maybe, this was even part of the famed Andrew Carnegie collection who had his cards "PSA-DNA" authenticated.
    Brian
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the auction template in this auction the same as the one used by 'hotpiercedguy' when he tried to sell the '52T set with the boosted Spahn scan?
  • Options
    jrinck
    I apologize for getting carried away and hijacking your thread that had a legitimate question - here is a link to a past auction with a PSA 1 card:
    PSA 1 52T Mantle:
    Again, let me say I am really sorry, I saw this card for sale and it's irrelevent to your query.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Boopotts
    In fear, again of hijacking, I will preempt w/another apology, the answer is Yes! New ebay name? It's the same old song, with a different beat....image
    Someone, please start another thread about this card - I think these sales are very interesting but redundant.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>52T #311 Mantle This gentleman has this little number up for auction from a "distressed sale" - could be a really nice buy for that 'motivated' buyer who has a discriminating eye for the really fine things in life. Mikeimage >>

Now I'm far from an expert in baseball cards, but could someone explain to me why the "Topps Baseball" on the back of this is in a different font than this card and this card?
  • Options
    DavinoDavino Posts: 333

<< <i>

<< <i>52T #311 Mantle This gentleman has this little number up for auction from a "distressed sale" - could be a really nice buy for that 'motivated' buyer who has a discriminating eye for the really fine things in life. Mikeimage >>

Now I'm far from an expert in baseball cards, but could someone explain to me why the "Topps Baseball" on the back of this is in a different font than <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2792153782" target=blank>this card</A> and <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2793687013" target=blank>this card</A>? >>

Because its a fake.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    About a year to a year and a half ago, a decent looking PSA 1 (no gloss, several major creases, seriously rounded corners, print snow) went for less than $1600 - I think from Levi Bleam's auctions.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    I saw one that looked like it had gone through a washing machine cycle twice sell for about $1,200.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Look here

It is the lowest price I could find..

Dennis
  • Options

<< <i>Look here

It is the lowest price I could find..

Dennis >>

707's prices used to be a bit high in my opinion, but now those prices are alright compared to the PSA 1 that recently sold on eBay for over $2,400. I guess the days of buying PSA1's for $1,500 or less are over. image

BTW, I searched "1952 Topps Mantle" and every one listed is fake. I was equally disgusted when I ran across this HIGHEST PRICE EVER PAID FOR A FAKE MANTLE

Brian
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Thanks for the opinions and facts. PSA 1 is the ONLY way to go for me. I would never consider raw, especially on Ebay. To me, owning this card is not about eye appeal, it's about owning one of THE major cards in the hobby--a card that I have long stood in awe of. In fact, a tattered and torn PSA 1 at least has a story to tell. It could have been played with, enjoyed, and then left for dead in a box for fifty years. That means more to me, actually, than a card that was never enjoyed as it was intended, and pulled from an unopened pack in 2002 and graded PSA 8.