Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SMELLY OLD SAFE

I recently got a good deal on a large safe,problem is it smells. Does anyone have a favorite remedy to remove the old musty smell from it.I have been told by a few antique dealers to use 90 proof vodka, this will take out the smell. Im not sure if they ment that I should wipe the safe down with it, or drink it.Seriously does anyone have a remedy for this problem.Thanks Larry
"Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.

Comments

• Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Try both suggestions..........clean and image
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options
    I suggest a compromise... clean the safe with half the vodka and drink the other.
    Atomic
    Estragon: I can't go on like this.
    Vladimir: That's what you think.
    - Samuel Beckett, Waiting For Godot
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baking Powder... or Soda... one of them will come in a box that tells you it gets rid of smells.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    And while we're on the topic, the answer to yesterday's question about which is better for coin grading, beer or vodka, the answer is yes.
    Atomic
    Estragon: I can't go on like this.
    Vladimir: That's what you think.
    - Samuel Beckett, Waiting For Godot
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Spray it with one of those odor neutralizers like fabreze. Maybe then it will smell like musty flowers.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    What Jeremy said. Baking Soda will absorbe the odors. If you're in a dry climate, you should leave it open for a few days. Also, place an opened package of saltine crackers in it to absorbe any humidity (as you would in a sugar bowl).
    The baking soda works great in gun safes too (for those that have them). No more oily smells.

Oh, one other thing. If the safe had cloth in it,... felt lining,.. remove it. Put new lining in after it's purged.

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    Don't clean it with anything that will affect coins!
    Mark
  • Options
    I'll bet some of the new safes don't smell so good either.

SAFE LINK
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God!
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    ~PATRICK HENRY~
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭
    So what was it keeping safe, farts?
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cause may be mold from the storage of paper.....

Wash the area with soapy water (scrubbing with a brush may be necessary),
    rinse and allow the area to dry.

Be careful of using chemicals as this may react to coins you wish to store for the future...

also is this a burglar safe or fire safe....there is a difference and can also create problems for future storage of material...good luck
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    "I have been told by a few antique dealers to use 90 proof vodka, this will take out the smell."

90 proof vodka is more likely to take the smell out of you.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    remove it? smell is usually extra.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    50 pounds of fertilizer and a match
    DSW
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some early fire safes will suck that smell into the walls of the safe.

It may never come out. Safes that have been in a flood can really have a problem.

Humidity will really increase the smell. I would wash it with alcohol (not vodkaimage) or acetone.

No water and keep it open all you can. image

Drink the vodkaimage
    Larry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file