Home U.S. Coin Forum

Seems like we need a refresher course on ACG coins

Once again a board member has bought an ACG coin. I find this very disappointing considering the amount of work I have put into making collectors aware of what is typically in ACG slabs, especially better date Morgans. For your view pleasure, or disgust as the case may be:

Comments

• XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Oh, dear.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely cleaned, isn't it?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Mmmm. Nothing warms the heart like sitting in the sun on a warm day with a Morgan dollar and a Brillo pad.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Steel wool sure does make a coin shiny,dosen't it?
  • nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    SCRUB-A-DUB-DUB!!!
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Am I seeing what isn't there or does it look like the 95 was added!!

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I was at a show today. A guy came by a dealer's table, flipped down an ACG MS65 Morgan and asked what bid was. The dealer politely looked it up, told him $150, then added "That's for a properly graded coin such as PCGS or NGC. ACG would not even be close."

The guy just walked off.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out those die polish lines! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    No, it was a genuine 95-O. That's the only good thing I could say about it. This coin was harshly cleaned, had altered surfaces to hide deep marks, and had PVC to boot.
  • Wow. How in the h e double hockey sticks... I know, it's ACG. image
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • Rookie........image
    JoeCool
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!

Could have at least used a Craftsman or Snap-On screwdriver to scrape it with!

Mom always said, "Don't use the butter knives to clean the good silver with!!"

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • This is sad and I hate it. Why can't people just advertise their damaged coins for what they are?
  • Ya know, I might have spoken too harshly at first. ACG may be right on spot with this one. In fact, If I take my glasses off, stand in the next room and look at it from 30 feet away, it is indeed AU53. I might even be so bold to say they undergraded it (at another 10 feet)!

Wow,.. I'll bet even I could be an ACG grader! Will ya'll back me up on this and vouch for my 30 foot distance grading?

Come on,... take the ACG challenge,... I dare ya!!

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Maybe that's a metric 53.
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I've looked at this one closely, because I think everybody should be non-prejudicial, so I say: BARF, BARF, BARFimage
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I sold an 1895-O a while back that looked very similar to that one.

Not quite as polished, though.

Russ, NCNE
    Here is another great example of their grading:

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Those Accucrap people really piss me off. imageimageimage
    I brake for ear bars.
    Your coin doesn't look anywhere near as bad Russ. This one was a real mess.
    That cent looks much more like a full-blown RED...

Edited to add: image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your coin doesn't look anywhere near as bad Russ. >>

It had definitely seen some strong brillo pad action, though. It spent some time in an album afterward. It was a perfect example of a collector that got screwed by a dealer while building his Morgan set. Came in as part of a sizable collection I bought from his kids after he passed on. It was sold to him as BU for a hell of a lot more than it was worth.

Russ, NCNE
    Yes Russ, I remember those days well and for all the people who think legitimate slabs are a bad thing, we don't want to go back to those days.

Jeremy, you left off the smiley. You are kidding aren't you?

<< <i>Jeremy, you left off the smiley. You are kidding aren't you? >>

Oh, no, I wasn't kidding

image <-------------------------- Smiley remembered
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That cent looks much more like a full-blown RED... >>

More like a full-blown PINK.
    As bad as that 1910 Lincoln is, I saw a 1909-S VDB in the same grade ACG holder, "MS63RB". The coin was a lower AU that appeared to have been polished with Brasso. At least it was genuine.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever seen a decent coin in one of their slabs ? I have not but of course I hardly ever look at those slabs. Not many of them are in this section of the country. Maybe a chance will be had next week at the ANA show in Portland.

Ken
  • I wouldn't know. I see one and I run screaming.
    Ken, ACG has about had it. But there are still a lot of coins floating around in their slabs, as we heard from the guy who bought a 96-O in a "MS62" ACG slab.
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    K6AZ,

As much as I dislike ACG and their people, and wouldn't touch one of their holders with a 10 foot pole, I think it's only fair to mention that ALL 3rd party services make mistakes and holder bad coins.

Let's not forget about that recent incedent with PCGS and that 1913-D $20.00 Saint that PCGS graded as MS66 (pop. 1 finest known!) that was puttied, and then it took two grade reviews for PCGS to finally admit their error and buy the coin back. That was a big topic of discussion here if anyone remembers.

NGC has also made MORE than their fair share of grading mistakes.

dragon
    Well, I could go on and on with examples, but I think the ones I have already posted, and this one are enough. This coin is sitting in an ACG "MS65" holder:

The problem is Dragon that the mistakes in PCGS and NGC holders are a fraction of 1%. The percentage of misgraded coins in ACG holders, especially for better dates, is astronomical. Trying to compare ACG to PCGS or NGC is ludicrous.
    And please, show me just one pink Lincoln or Indian in a PCGS or NGC holder. This goes beyond mistakes, it is numismatic fraud and most people know it.
    Oh, and one more thing. When PCGS or NGC make a mistake, they make good on it by paying off on their guarantee, and I know several board members here who have received compensation from PCGS. What happens when you present a "mistake" to ACG? Ask Larry Whitlow
    K6AZ,

I wasn't comparing ACG to PCGS or NGC, just simply pointing out that ALL 3rd party services have made gross errors in the past, and that no grading service is even even close to 100% accurate IMO.

Maybe not Dragon, but the errors NGC and PCGS makes are truly mistakes, and they guarantee their coins. ACG "mistakes" are not mistakes, and see the link I posted above to see how they handle them.
    Believe me K, I know what you're saying and I think ACG is a joke too......just givin' you a hard time
  • This is enough to force new numismatists like myself out of the hobby. I know that there is no substitution for learning to grade coins yourself, but unless you are buying face-to-face with the seller, that option is rarely available.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
    Jon, no one should rely on any holder's grade, even those by PCGS and NGC. But when you are forced to do most of your purchases online, PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG offer some guarantee that you are getting a genuine, unadulterated coin. I've even sent a few PCGS coins back because I didn't agree with the grade. But sticking to reputable slabs, you can cut down the problems that were everywhere before there were slabs. The sellers who would sell whizzed AU coins in the old days are still selling them as Uncs, only now in third rate slabs such as ACG, PCI and NTC.
  • you have a good chance of making a little money buying ACG slabs

just make sure you only bid (including shipping) to 10% below melt image
  • K6AZ - Love the 1910! That color has just got to be the result of being stored properly for 94 years and never handled without cotton gloves. image

Not to rain on this anti-ACG thread, but two weeks ago, I bought a 1916-P Merc in an MS66 FB ACG holder. Of course, it was at a local dealer so I could look closely at it. It is FB but not a 66. I'm thinking 64, shot 65 if I cracked it, but I think I'll crack and dip and put it in a Kointain. Decent coin, but overgraded.

I'd never buy an ACG slab without having it in-hand first. Even with an ebay seller who has a return policy, who needs the hassle?

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
    Yeah, I thought some of you copper guys would get a kick out of the 1910 Lincoln.

If you look on my website, you will see a couple of common Morgan and Peace Dollars actually crossed - but what would be the point of overgrading these? Where they really put the screws to collectors are on the better dates and more expensive coins.
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Yes, I have found one -- count 'em, one -- decent coin in an ACG slab, a $7 1961 PR-69 DCAM Jefferson that was liberated and graded PR-69 CAM (22/0) at PCGS. I have never seen another worth buying since...
  • How does ACG manage to hang on w/o going down for the count? How many stakes does it take?
    Collector of early copper, pre 1900 currency, PCGS MS64+ Saints.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    I have noticed a tremendous drop in ACG slabs at all the coin shows I have been attending....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Dammit K6AZ, I was eating dinner when I read this thread and I just puked all over my keyboard!!

Yes, that's a typical example of an ACG slabbed coin. One of these days I will share my face-2-face confrontation with Hager. Maybe I will even share my accidental meeting with his obnoxiously drunk employee at the ILNA show a few years ago. image
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
    Sorry JRC, but with the amount of people posting about the great "deals" they have got on ACG stuff lately, I felt it was necessary to demonstrate what is typically in ACG holders.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    My Little HotStuff.......

I'll say this, great deals can be found in NGC/IGC holders...... But one must really know their series.........

I have looked at many ACG slabs, and PCI, the quality has been horrible....

You would think that they would screw up and actually grade something right every now and then, and they probably do, but after seeing so many of these slabs I donnot wan't to see anymore...

ICG on the other hand........ I have found many GEMs in these holders.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
    You are correct my little deviless. One of the best crosses I have had was an ICG rainbow Morgan that ICG slabbed as a 63. PCGS gave it a 64. It was bought for between 63 and 64 greysheet.
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Lucybop is a "little deviless"? I've never heard of one of those.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file