Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will you die with your collection?

WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
I'm talking in non-sudden death scenarios. Will you sell off, give away or will you hold 'til your cold?
Wondo

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends on whether or not any of my heirs show any interest in numsimatics

(outside of "how much can I sell it for?")

if a child, grandchild, niece, nephew, etc. already has a collection of their own,
    they will be likely to inherit some of my better pieces.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Little too early to be thinking that far down the road.
  • Options
    It's a nice way to pass knowledge, memories and in some cases, wealth. Don't know what I'm gonna do - hope to have a number of years left.
    Wondo

• Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    My collection will likely go to my childrens college education. If there is anything left after that....their weddings. I have three daughters.image
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    If I get a terminal illness then I'll probably sell to make sure all bills are covered. I also may pass them down to heirs that are interested. I have considered making a lists of orders for my wife on selling them in case of a sudden death. The last thing I'd hate to see happen would be my wife selling the whole thing at once to a dealer and getting robbed for lack of knowledge. Maybe send her to an ebay broker or have a knowledgable collector help her write up the auctions.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

I have a huge arrowhead collection that will be put up for auction when I die,
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I have considered making a lists of orders for my wife on selling them in case of a sudden death. >>

My wife has a "death list" for me. I collect a bunch of stuff and she has a list of the guys I would trust to sell off my valuables.

edited for English
    Wondo

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I will sell them all so that none of my greedy loser relatives will get any.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I am 60 years young and have an only child (daughter) who is not interested in coins, I think she wanted to have me committed when I told her I paid $200 for a penny (raw 72 DDO, now resides in pcgs holder at 65 red). So I think I am going to sell everything (very slowly) and leave her the money.
  • Options
    My kids aren't that interested in numismatics, but they will get my coins. I doubt they will sell them unless they really needed the $, because although they don't care about coins, they are very sentimental.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭
    Auction or she has instructions on who to contact in the event of my demise....with the asking prices....image
  • Options

Uncle Russ how can you say that??????????
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Russ on this one. In fact, I've already sold about 30% of my holdings.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, they'll probably pry them from my cold dead fingers. They can do whatever they want after that, cause I'll be fertilizer.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    My children and heirs will receive my collection. They certainly can continue or liquidate as they see fit. I have total confidence in their choice.
  • Options
    What collection ?????????

I dont have a collection image

There's nothing in my safe image

Passing on assets without inheritance tax image

Not me............ NEVER image
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    dude, I am 33. I have not even thought of that kind of stuff. image
  • Options
    RodiusRodius Posts: 857
    I am 44 and have been giving coins away to my nephews since they have been born. I wanted to start another generation of collectors. I usually give away the collector grade coins along with mint/proof sets for the family years of birth as well as the year sets I purchase. I have also given my my first registery Jeff Modern Proofs (#11 in the rating at the time). I do not have children and when it is my time to go the family will surely have very little knowledge of the coins, so why not store them safely away with my hiers. As long as they enjoy them, which I think they do. Just a thought.
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Every thing will go to my Grandson and Daughter.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>depends on whether or not any of my heirs show any interest in numsimatics

(outside of "how much can I sell it for?")

if a child, grandchild, niece, nephew, etc. already has a collection of their own,
    they will be likely to inherit some of my better pieces. >>

Unca Baley, I have a modest little collection....please remember me as a family member who holds you close to heart image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I have a good 60 years until i have to worry about that.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Maybe I'll take a pair of 20 dollar gold pieces with me to help keep my eyes closed...image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    I'm 16. If I die somewhere down the road, hopefully I'll die untill at the year 2068 or greater. I'd be 80 years old. I'm not sure what I'd do with my coins. My uncle tuffy collects coins, and he's in his 50's. My grandpa works in stocks, and he has 5 gold 1 oz austrailian kruggs, and 5 platinum austrailian kruggs. By that time both of them would be dead. I'd probably have grandchildren by then, or sons/daughters would probably pass it down to them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file