Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guess the grade on this 1919s buffalo

OK all you Buffalo Nickel collectors can you guess the grade?
A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.

Comments

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    MS63
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    caitlin- how ya been? great to see you...and your wonderful buffalos.

grade? thats an easy one. MS66
    Next coin..........image
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Nice strike for a branch mint, clean surfaces ... 64 shot 65 (hard to gauge luster from images)
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very nice highend 64!

jim
  • EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    MS65.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
    you guys need to learn how to grade early branch mint buffs. image
    just kidding. i,m the one that could be all washed up on this one.
    i just think since its caitlins coin its got to be atleast a 6, heck maybe a 7.

do you people know who this caitlin person is anyway? image
    oh, just A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET

• MS65
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    65. I love the luster. A choice coin.

We ARE watching you.

• DRGDRG Posts: 817
    MS65.......MS66 if the PCGS grader has had his cofee and plenty of rest the night before.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • MS66. Real beaut - caitlin!
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
    I know it's extremely hard to grade a coin from an image . Here's a couple clues, this coin has losts of luster with a very clean surface. I've always thought this coin was graded consertavely and I'm looking for an upgrade at PCGS. Thanks for your thoughts and I'll post the grade later.image
    oh, good clues.

hmmm how conservatively are we talking.....a 3 or 4? ouch.

• jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This looks like a crappy Heritage picture. This all comes down to the luster because the strike is not a hinder to the grade. I see some hairlines but I'm guessing those are from the slab....

If the luster is as good as Cait says it is then it's a 65 or 66. If the coin graded 65 and you think it's conservative then give it a shot. I just don't think you can get a decent opinion from that picture. Not even close....hell, for all I know it could be AU. image

jom
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    65 but what a strike. Always great post, keep your beauties coming .image
    YCCTidewater.com
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Ooohh, Oooohhh, I know, I know............image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    That oughtta be in a 66 holder. Incredibe strike for a '19-S! .."notorious for being weakly struck, particularly on the reverse." (lange)

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, its a 66.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • MJHMJH Posts: 538 ✭✭
    That is a Gem. MS 65
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam and the skies are not cloudy all day...

Registry?...sorry I thought you said Reverie....
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
    This coin is in an ms64 PCGS holder, I'm sending this in hopefully for an upgrade. I'll keep you all posted as to the results.image
    Caitlin,

I picked Ms-64, becuase I just had a feeling that PCGS held it at a 64, due to the monster price break at 65. I would need to see in hand of course, but it really does look near 65 quality to me. Hopefully, this time you will get a honest review with out the value having any factor.

Keep us informed, If not, Its the damn nicest 64 I have ever seen!

jim
    Jim

Can you post an image of your 19s ms64 BUFF?
    Caitlin,

Sorry, but I dont own a 19-s. I was reffering to why I chose the grade of 64 from your post.

I dont build sets of any one particular series like buffalo's
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Caitlin, sorry I called your coin lowimage but it seems like every time I have high hopes with a buffalo that has the look of your coin it comes back MS63. I sure hope you get your upgrade. mike image
  • mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    Good luck on the upgrade Caitlin! There's NO reason that shouldn't grade out a 65. I still hold to my 66 though.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Good Luck on the upgrade Caitlin!! image
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    MS64. I could see it in an 65 holder, but I think MS64 is what it should be. The color is what does it.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
    JoeCool
  • HootHoot Posts: 867
    Hi Caitlin - Been a long time. That is the most incredible strike on a '19-S I've ever seen. It's a lock 65 with a shot at a 66, depending on how clean the surfaces are of abrasions, nicks, etc. If it's in a 64 holder (which I would not doubt due to the track record of that issue in the series), then you've just made a few grand (given you bought it). Sweet, sweet coin and unbelievable edge and central definition. The Indian's hair knot and hair above the knot are basically full, and the braid has good definition, although a tad weak. The date stands out well and the robe at the shoulder is very well defined. Excellent separation of the feathers from the field and LIBERTY from the rim. Exquisite. As for the bison, the head actually has hair!!! Superb definition of the horn and the hair of the mane. Where the mane comes down the soulder, this is usually flat on all coins of this issue, even MS64s. Not that coin! Fabulous definition even in the hip area, though the rear leg is a tad weak, as one might expect. A little evidence of clashing in the motto, but not distracting. I can simply hardly believe the beauty of the coin for a '19-S.

Hope it's yours.

Mark Hooten
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
    anyone ever think that this is just what PCGS was looking for? Another `review` of the grade?
    it just plays right into their hands. IMO...I dont know. I think they LIKE to toy with submitters.
    It means more money in THEIR pockets doesnt it? ack!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file